Author Topic: Rolemaster Product Suggestions  (Read 14494 times)

Offline boawk

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Destination Boawk
Re: Rolemaster Product Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »
Here's a product/marketing combination:

Back in the early 80s I was originally drawn to Rolemaster via Arms Law.  When compared to other combat systems, Arms Law is realistic, easily used (essentially, roll dice and do a table lookup), and very, very cool compared to alternative combat systems (including the crit tables).

If my understanding is correct, Arms Law was originally marketed to supplant combat systems in other RPGs.  I would suggest the same, but with an alternative approach.  Abandon having a section in Arms Law which gives guidance on integrating into other systems.  Instead, create free PDFs, each of which is tailored to a popular RPG.

An example: an Arms Law/Pathfinder PDF would contain a subset of complete weapon and crit tables--enough to be playable.  The material surrounding these tables would be specific guidelines for how to use this Arms Law subset with Pathfinder, including references to relevant sections in the Pathfinder book/s.  If possible, this surrounding material would adopt the look and feel of the Pathfinder layout in order to be familiar and appealing to Pathfinder players.  As alluded to earlier, the PDF would be offered free.  Advertise it on Pathfinder boards, get DriveThruRPG.com to promote it as the "Free Product of the Week" in their weekly newsletter, etc.

Repeat the process for other game systems, including some of the Old School revival systems (e.g. Labyrinth Lord).  As players become aware of Arms Law through these free PDFs, many will purchase the full Arms Law book to get the additional weapon and crit tables.  This in turn will result in some of these folks purchasing other Rolemaster products.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »
Well, I think in the short term adventures and supplemental material would be the way to go.

I did a couple articles detailing alternate activities, like court battles and sporting events.  I intended to add investigations and capers and emergency services stuff like firefighting.  At the time I suggested it could eventually be compiled into a single book.  It was partially inspired by my disapointment with School of Hard Knocks which mainly seemed like regurgitated skill chapters.

I think adventures do better when they're more sand box oriented and share a setting.  To the best of my knowledge Cyradon never got any official adventures.  Shadow world is fine but I think a more old school approach might be better these days.  Something like the old Judges Guild adventures.  Set up some base assumptions, assign people a hex and let them go wild detailing it.

This way the contributors will want to buy everyone else's projects. :D

Oh, and I still want leather bound folios of all the spell lists, weapon, and critical tables on parchment with gold leaf.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
MIcro RM, something I've long wanted and long wanted to have the time to right, but never have.

I sent it to Nicholas yesterday.  Whether they're willing to use it is out of my hands.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »
I think adventures that you can drop into any setting, and possibly any game, might be a good longer term goal, but I don't think it's a good idea for an operation just getting on it's feet.  If freelance authors are willing to put the material up without expecting an immediate payout there's not much reason to not give it a shot, but it really can't be the primary focus.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 11:36:34 PM »
I've started work on what will become a series of bestiaries, one each for RMFRP, RMC, and HARP

I am also looking into the possibility of adventures, but I don't have a regular HARP game going to playtest them on for Cyradon
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 12:17:39 AM »
 IMHO a good setting that adventures can be dropped into is a must and is how most of us started gaming.
 Also a theory I have about adventures is that groups tend to finish them faster than they can come out. So the GM ends up making his own any way. Also if the adventures are PDF then they tend to be on the cheaper side and cane be viable IMHO.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 01:06:42 AM »
I think part of the problem with adventure sales is really the shortage of good adventures.

In general, I think a book with interesting places and npcs and monsters is really what works.  If the npcs have goals and direction you get plot.  Too often adventures start with a plot and ram it into whatever corner of the game world can be found.

Offline aelfwine

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 07:00:01 PM »
I've given this a lot of thought over the years, though I could probably go trouble the authorities by now.

For a start, yes, all adventures and similar supplements should be able to reference any of the game line. An Orc is an Orc is an Orc.

Each system should be generic. Putting obvious IP in a core system will scare off people.  There is, obviously, some wiggle room but having references to (for example) Shadow World content in a core book sort of undermines one of the things people buy core generic fantasy systems for. (That being: not playing Dungeons and Dragons).

Highly detailed character creation by experienced gamers is fun. It's a pain in the backside for non experienced gamers. With D&D 4E and the character builder, everyone can have their character rolled up and ready in about 15 minutes. No one has time to spend an entire game session rolling up characters anymore. Nor does anyone have time to participate in several year campaigns. There should be some way to play RM casually, at cons, at shops, to pick up new players. (Last RM character I made took 45 minutes, and I knew what I was doing). Even RM Express confused the daylights out of the issue with things like potential stats.

So RM needs an easy beginner's product.

Finally, RM needs some sort of plain vanilla implied fantasy setting. Sort of like the Nentir Vale, only not a bit daft. Something that plays to RM's strengths.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »
Run Out the Guns, "pick two templates" character creation should make you happy then.

But yeah, a generic setting is what I'm suggesting up thread with designer land grants.  Set some basic assumptions and ground rules.  Give some key designers the three or four big powers to detail.  Step back and watch it grow and develop.

Personally I think trying for a really classic medieval feel might be a nice counterpoint to D&D's current video game / over the top style.

Offline Moriarty

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »
When I think about Rolemaster, I like to distinguish between rules and detail.

The numerous weapon, critical, and maneuver tables, the spell lists, the professions, the more exotic charts, all those things I consider detail - not rules.
Rolemaster is a game tremendeously rich on detail; this in my view is a unique and wonderful thing about Rolemaster.

The extensive use of tables and charts also holds the potential for a realistic, yet very rules light game.
I believe boawk said it well about Rolemaster combat: it is realistic, easily used (essentially, roll dice and do a table lookup), and very, very cool compared to alternative combat systems.

But Rolemaster does have rules, and while most of the time they function well once you have studied and practiced with them, many of the rules can also be burdensome.
The rules and optional rules were written by many different authors, and are distributed among many books and supplements.
The potential for streamlining of the rules should be considerable, both game mechanically and with regards to organisation and presentation.

My suggestion for a new product would be a Rolemaster rulebook that deals exclusively with the game rules, and not with detail.
It should be inclusive in scope and should cover the following rules areas:
  • Dice rolling
  • Stats
  • Skill structure
  • Character creation, experience and leveling
  • Encumbrance, movement, and armor
  • Maneuvers and skill rolls
  • Casting spells, realms, power points, resistance rolls
  • Weapons, attacking and defending
  • Tactical round
  • Strategic environments
  • Hits, injuries, illness, death, and healing
Ideally such a book should be generic and compatible with detail (tables, charts, professions, etc.) found in any current or previous version of Rolemaster.
...the way average posters like Moriarty read it.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 03:44:36 AM »
Trade Companion: Covers trade routes, monetary systems, barter, banking, and how to run a game where the PCs are running a business (or businesses). This would include illegal and borderline illegal commerce as well. Tariffs, customs, smuggling, common frauds and shoddy deals should be covered. Basically, anything you might want to know when your players kill off the bad guys and end up de facto owners of the baddie's front, be it an inn, tavern, cheese shop, or community theater, and decide that rather than ignore it or sell it off, it would be fun to have a go at making it a working business venture. Or what you might want to know if you were one of those players.

Something similar for diplomacy and politics. People Companion?
I second this idea.

Plus I'd like to see Run out the Guns resurected some day, in one form or another.

Can't believe I'm actually posting...it's been awhile since I've spent an hour just reading posts, maybe I might get interested in RPG's again...

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 03:54:56 AM »
Run Out the Guns is a product that we would love to resurrect. We are open to proposals from any interested parties.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 03:09:09 PM »
Proposals in the form of what exactly, Thom? Adventures, artwork, rules, crit tables etc? or a total re-write to mesh with HARP and RM? I am assuming copyright for RotG belongs to someone else? I think I did ask this question years back but can't remember what the answer was. Would be a good time to revive RotG at this time since the pirate genre is becoming popular again.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 08:34:20 PM »
Run Out the Guns is part of the ICE IP. It is owned by Aurigas Aldebaron, and we're interested in licensing it out for development, much the same way as HARP, Rolemaster, etc. is licensed to GCP.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 05:09:12 AM »
Ah, ok I see. Unfortunatley the development of a product is not my greatest strength. Although, from an artistic perspective it is something that I'd have no trouble managing...I think I've produced enough works to prove my craft and reliability.

So, in light of that fact, if anyone wishes to pick up the RotG license; I'm a keen artist willing to work with a potential game developer. I'd also consider cutting a deal regarding remuneration of the art.

Offline Fnord

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 07:38:36 AM »
Healing Law, with herbs and healing rules.

Ooo. yes please. This sounds really good.

I agree!!!

With tons of new herbs, please!!!

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 11:56:52 PM »
I would love to see supplements for the Cyradon setting! Detailed plans of the city of Belynar; the coliseum and constructs (templates); more details about the races in and around Cyradon; etc.

Simplified NPC creation.

And I absolutely agree on new adventures (ready-to-run).
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 08:19:16 AM »
If the MAC does not come back soon in PDF, I would like to see a short PDF (20+ pages) with combat styles or even the combat style section cleaned up for RMSS/FRP from the RMC CC. 

MDC

I'd like to see a fill MAC for RMC, but that'd be a bigger endeavour, I guess.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 01:51:14 PM »
A book everyone would buy: Critical Law.  Optional critical tables for use with Arms Law and Spell law.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
A book everyone would buy: Critical Law.  Optional critical tables for use with Arms Law and Spell law.

Oooh, yes! Professional Wrestling criticals! Boiling oil criticals! Schoolyard Bullying criticals (that wedgie in "E" crits -- ouch!)! Insanity crits (so you can do a properly Rolemasteresque sanity loss system)! Zucchini crits ("Foes arms are full of zucchini. He is stunned for three rounds. You have an extra zucchini; +20 to next attack.")! Paper cut criticals! Criticism criticals ("Your cutting remarks devastate your target. He destroys his own work in disgust.")! Pirate criticals ("Arrr! Yer blade be but slightly effective. 1 hit.")! Nerf criticals! Chemical irritant criticals! So very many possibilities.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.