Author Topic: additional gifts  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
additional gifts
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:17:36 AM »
Ahoy I read through the gifts from the express additions and liked most of what I saw. My question is: will there be worked more on the concept in the future? Or to be exact: I'd like more gifts, will you be making any? :D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: additional gifts
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:24:11 AM »
Always a possibility..

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
A new companion with focus on character creation including a more extensive chapter on gifts?
There's old RMFRP rules/options that could easily be rewritten for use with RMC...

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 05:04:39 PM »
That would be really cool!  I'd love to see more stuff for building your own races, like in EA 13 (for example, I really think the things like Hits per Rank/Hit die size, Free Languages, and things like Soul Departure and Stat Deterioration should have a value or else there is no reason to build a race without those values being equal to Dwarves).  I would also like to see a selection of Flaws (hard, mechanical ones) for help building races.  If you wanted a fae race that took extra damage from iron, or an elemental race susceptible to it's antithesis... those kind of Flaws. 

RM is already such a great tool kit RPG, that would really go the extra distance.

Offline arcadayn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 05:22:11 PM »
Perhaps a Character Law II with more gifts, a big chunk of the secondary skills "inspired by" Rolemaster Companion II, all of the optional character generation rules from EA, and maybe some other new kick-ass stuff? :D
arcadayn

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »
Question concerning the gift scope skill (number of targets): Would you allow a character with this gift, allowing for spells to be cast at two targets, to target the same thing twice instead of targeting two objects? If yes would you roll one or two BAR's?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 02:48:31 PM »
Question concerning the gift scope skill (number of targets): Would you allow a character with this gift, allowing for spells to be cast at two targets, to target the same thing twice instead of targeting two objects? If yes would you roll one or two BAR's?

IIRC the "gift" you talk about in RMSS/FRP does not allow you to target the same person twice. So I would say no.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
So what is the logic then? You can master the magics so at to cast two spell instead of one but only if there are two targets present? Does the spell the leap from target to target instead of two spells springing from the casters hands?

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »
The same logic that says you can't cast a Sleep V on one 1st level target and force them to make five RRs would be my guess.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 11:43:58 AM »
So what is the logic then? You can master the magics so at to cast two spell instead of one but only if there are two targets present? Does the spell the leap from target to target instead of two spells springing from the casters hands?

I am going to guess that it is a balancing factor against getting two spells for 1 PP cost.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »
So LordMiller: it is a question of game mechanics?

I get your point Markc but using CC and the option of additional attacks that line of reasoning dies out fast. Unless one chose to make a character pay pp for every single attack his directed style allowed for. A character with 20 ranks would then have to pay 12 pp when casting his waterbolt (from water law) This would soon rise the problem of not being able to spend more power points in a single round than your level.

Do you understand my predicament?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 01:57:42 PM »
So LordMiller: it is a question of game mechanics?

I get your point Markc but using CC and the option of additional attacks that line of reasoning dies out fast. Unless one chose to make a character pay pp for every single attack his directed style allowed for. A character with 20 ranks would then have to pay 12 pp when casting his waterbolt (from water law) This would soon rise the problem of not being able to spend more power points in a single round than your level.

Do you understand my predicament?

IMHO using the Combat Companion greatly aids non-spell users in catching up to spell users at higher levels. If you had a style that allowed for multiple bolt attacks IMHO it would be used with the triad spells for someone who does not have the Talent.
  Yes I can see you spending more PP than your level if you allow for the paying of extra PP for the double spell. But IMHO you have altered the spell casting rules with the talent in the first place by having 2 spells go off for the casting of a single spell. IMHO it would be a good rule to add to keep some game balance as in RM2/C/X PP's are much harder to come by than in RMSS/FRP.

Also as I posted in the other topic; can you turn of the talent? Or do you have to target yourself or a friendly if there are not enough enemies for a spell? IMHO that is a very important question that should be answered before you get to far along in the debate. In my game I do not let the Talent be able to be turned off and explain this to the player at the time. Often they decide not to take the talent and pick others for there TP's; (RMSS).

MDC   
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 02:15:40 PM »
For resistance style attacks, I'd go for a RR penalty, not allow the forcing of two or more RRs.

For elemental attacks, I might allow two bolts ala "Fork of fire" on one target, but like other multi bolt attacks, only one would get directed spell bonus, the other would be +0 OB.

If using a bolt spell, it would then seem a better idea to SM x2 damage than to attempt to hit someone with two bolts, unless their DB was so high you're just "spraying and praying" for a high open ended hit.

But I also don't allow SM spells to dupe higher level spells on the same list, so if there's a multi bolt spell at a higher level, I wouldn't allow you to SM a lower level spell into a duplicate of it.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 03:10:28 PM »
Markc PP development is optional in RMC. Also I do not know if the wording of the talent for x2 targets is the same as it is for the gift scope skill.

Lord of Lords: There is no option to go for more damage nor would I like to see it.

I gather neither of you use Combat companion since you do not seem to entirely see what it is I am getting at - or maybe I am entirely unclear, which is also very possible :D.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »
I think a good revision and rework for SM with a following re-release for RMC is due. One taking the ramifications of Combat Companion into account preferably. 

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 03:19:07 PM »
Nders;
 I use the MAC for RMSS and I am going to be using some stuff from the CC but I have not smashed the two together yet. I will look at my PDF right now to see if I can see what is going on.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 03:22:36 PM »
Nders;
 I use the MAC for RMSS and I am going to be using some stuff from the CC but I have not smashed the two together yet. I will look at my PDF right now to see if I can see what is going on.
MDC

If you are asking about the additional attack option for every 10 ranks in a skill it specifies "extra melee attack" and not any attack type. Is that what you were asking about?
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
It is but as it is an universal option and not a melee specifik I ignored (overlooked) the melee only part :D

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »
It is but as it is an universal option and not a melee specifik I ignored (overlooked) the melee only part :D

IMHO it should only be applied to melee and not everything. If you look at the description for the "bolt" specialty it says some of the missile/thrown option can be used with a bolt combat style.

Also I think if you contact Rasyr who authored the book he would say he had no intention of it being used with magic in any way or for that matter missile weapons in any way.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 11:25:03 PM »
I would rule that scope skills would allow a person to cast the same target and with two seperate BAR/EAR rolls. That would mean two seperate saves too.

As far at I know doesnt Sleep V on one target just make the spell harder to resist as in increases the resistance lvl?
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame