Author Topic: Does anyone  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Arigon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Does anyone
« on: October 20, 2021, 04:54:29 AM »
Have either a home made or altered version of some kind of other map of Jaiman showing the original borders of the crowns in relation to the current land grab by Rhakhaan?
Reason being, I am launching a new campaign where the crowns are being placed on the heads of monarchs. Sort of a screw over Rhakhaan, kill the Priests Arnak, and finally get Lorgalis as the end goals. Of course they are a long way from that, but the crowns being placed on the heads of monarchs does give a nice start.  I am also having the Zor wastes being reclaimed and rehabilitated, and the Zor borders reset. Since canon allows that the Wastes are no longer radioactive, this makes it an attractive way to thwart a would be Emperor, a Dragonlord, and the Priests Arnak all at once.  Lorgalis can come later.
Thanks in advance!!

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Does anyone
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 05:39:48 AM »
Don't forget that the Wyvern crown was destroyed during the WoD.

I don't have one, but the borders between Rhakhaan and U-Lyshak is fairly easy to infer (on the Rhakhaan map from the Haalkitaine book, use the Greensnake river as a base and go up to the L'Kyran) - I know that the map indicates a different border, but using rivers and mountain ranges as natural boundaries make much more sense. The border between Rhakhaan and Zor is drawn on the same map, and I have no real problem with it, even though I personally would have set it a bit lower (using the Ryanna river as a base). The border between U-Lyshak and Saralis can really be placed either where it is (on the river) or on the mountain range to the south. Urulan has natural borders, and Tanara has the mountain range - the only open point is to the south, because I'm not sure that the lands east of Enov Turic should be part of Rhakhaan, Tanara, none of them, or a mix.

Another point is the western borders of U-Lyshak and Saralis. According to the timeline, the crowns were created after 3840 SEI, which is *after* Lorgalis had completed the conquest of Ly-Aran and Xa'ar, so those realms should be set outside the borders of the six Crown Realms. However, the description of the Forge of Arion in the Jaiman book (section VI) seems to indicate that the borders are not mutually exclusive and can both overlap and move according to the political landscape, which seems odd to me. I would personally go for fixed, exclusive crown borders and leave Ly-Aran and Xa'ar out of them (as well as Quellbourne, Lu'Nak and Wuliris, as a matter of fact).

Offline Arigon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 11:21:14 PM »
Yeah, I agree with most of the borders you are referring to.
My problem comes when I have literally 5 different maps, and some of them show the Gryphon College closer to the capital of Rhakhaan, they show differing borders for all the kingdoms in fact. Rivers move. It is a bit frustrating.
I have the maps I have used for years, but this is the first time I am looking at breaking from canon as far as letting Rhakhaan become the Empire it wants to be. Urulan clearly was set to ruin Jerrin's day before TKA's most tragic loss. Tanara was likely going to feel a pinch that only a crown could resist, and then only if Andraxx had not tampered with the Unicorn Crown.
That actually is what gave me the idea, meaning Andraxx playing favorites with Urulan for some inscrutable reason. I liked it. Then I thought, what if he tampered with the Gryphon Crown. Which would be reasonable in that it would cause Rhakhaan no end of heartache to lose Kathya to Zor, possibly further south even. Prevan migrated from a central duchy to encompass the western part of the northern portion of Rhakhaan in some maps. 
So what began as it usually does, as me reading something TKA started, I then build a new campaign around. What is nice is I only have 2 Shadow World experts so to speak, and the rest are newbies, so it should flow well. If I could just get myself a nice map.

In the absence of that, I redrew maps myself, but that is a serious error on my part, as I am no cartographer and less of an artist.

Also.... What would happen, if instead of leaving Lorgalis alone, he extended the barriers of the Sea Drake crown into his two conquered lands? Many pyrotechnics. With Lorgalis busy with the business of keeping his seat at the big boy table, his daughter is in charge of Ulor. She is no slacker, but she is not Lorgalis either.  Andraxx might take another sniper shot when he can get it, to draw Lorgalis out. He has to start eliminating targets, and get his son grown and ready to take out Ondoval pretty quickly, or a new empire might just take off around his ears. Too many Lords still live in the East.  Dragon Lords probably could even be counted on to help him out on this.

Then there is Schrek. He is a nugget that needs to be cracked, but he might have sown his own seeds of destruction by making the wrong enemies. Sure he is nasty, but everyone at the table is nasty.
Anyhow thanks man,
Peace!

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 11:58:27 PM »
Well, as far as maps go, I can only offer a bit of advice - pick one as "the right one", or make one of your own.

I must admit I took the second option. I posted a while ago a GDrive link where one can find a number of "outline" continental maps (plus a few city maps) which were my take on what the landmasses actually looked like as far as I was concerned. Here's the thread link, the GDrive link is in the 6th post down :

https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?topic=19571.0

Offline Arigon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 06:59:24 AM »
Thank you!

Offline Arigon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 07:06:37 AM »
Having a clean Jaiman map is huge!

I am looking at the back cover of the Haalkhitain supplement, and I am drawing the Zor map as things north of the Blue River in Rhakhaan. This fits a very old map I found for Navigator Obelisks. It moves Minon from right next to Gryphon College down to Lethys area. It is crazy how much that map has changed over the years. This way I can just draw the map to suit what I am looking for, while keeping most of the canon material.
Thanks again!