Author Topic: Loremaster Legacy  (Read 26210 times)

Offline damage

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Loremaster Legacy
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2018, 06:44:38 PM »
Definitely epub, and I don't recall any issues with the first book either.

Regards,

- David.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2019, 02:10:21 PM »
Okay, I have opened the ancient Word file and I am officially back to work on the second installment. And actually I think that exporting to other formats is easier now. I will update.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2019, 10:16:53 PM »
Awesome!

Nightblade ->--

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2019, 01:23:54 AM »
Okay, I have opened the ancient Word file and I am officially back to work on the second installment. And actually I think that exporting to other formats is easier now. I will update.

Thank you for picking this up again.

Offline Dr Jim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2019, 01:01:10 PM »
Got the first part for Christmas and am enjoying it, would definitely like to see part 2.

James
The owls are not what they seem

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2019, 02:48:42 AM »
Hello! In terms of roleplaying, which is exactly the artifact that Kalen finds?

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2019, 10:43:36 AM »
It's the Phoenix Pendant. It's detailed in Jaiman Land of Twilight under Artifacts of Tethior.

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2019, 11:31:44 AM »
I dont find the item description in Jaiman. I have the first edition.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2019, 01:05:08 PM »

Page 84 Works of Tethior.

Pendants specifically start on 86, but I would read the entire section as well as the Forge of Arion, and the History section to get a feel for what place these artifacts have.

I highly recommend the new books too. Jaiman 2nd edition is an enormous update.

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2019, 04:22:15 AM »
Thank you very much

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2019, 06:46:46 AM »

Pendants specifically start on 86, but I would read the entire section as well as the Forge of Arion, and the History section to get a feel for what place these artifacts have.

Thanks, Jenkyna!  :)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline brandivil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2019, 02:10:24 PM »
This is great news!  :D

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »

What exactly are the updates?

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
The original Jaiman was 96 pages long, and the new one is 192. There are also several new books that zoom in on Jaiman, like Xaar which details a specific region in the northwest, and the Green Gryphon Inn in which details a single settlement in Jaiman. An updated Haalkitaine is almost ready too. There is another region book in the works that will detail the northeastern part of Jaiman, and add a lot of new info on the Taranians along with the sub-shuttle system.

The original Eidolon was 158 pages and the new one is 265 pages.

Cloudlords was 50 pages, and the new one is 115.

The original 96 page Emer from the box set has been turned into 4 books, with Emer III being 202 pages in length. An update of Emer I & II are in the works, and Emer IV is on it's way as well. That will will probably be 800 or so pages of material just on Emer the continent.

Sorry I realize I am focusing on page counts here, and that's not really what you asked, but the question probably needs to be "what wasn't updated or expanded on?" I think the maps from the old books didn't all get updates, but that's actually kind of nice because if memory serves me some of them are Pete Fenlon maps.

In my opinion the main selling point of all the new material is how it is all woven together into a cohesive whole. The original books were created by various authors who wrote about a particular location, but there was very little to tie those locations into a bigger picture. The new material seems to be written with a master design in mind, or at least that is the impression I get. You have the encompassing master atlas timeline, each region book has it's own timeline that calls out stuff specific to the region, and events in one book are sometimes tied to and influencing events in other books. A good example of this is the Lankan Empire, the Dragonlords, the Alliance, and the Jerak Ahrenreth are all trying to influence things in Eidolon and vie with each other at the same time. All of those groups are detailed in works outside of Eidolon, but got woven into the book in ways a GM can use to create tension, intrigue, and open the door for players to travel to regions in other books.

Some of the original books aren't regarded as canon by Terry, and at least one of them Curse of Kabis substantially departs from canon. Curse has a well thought out adventure in it, but honestly it's almost like it's not set in ShadowWorld.

I think most folks around here like the original books, I've always liked Demon's of the Burning Night & Nomads of the Nine Nations, but the new books really shine because they are more like parts of a whole rather than a lot of little independent islands of information.

What the new books do not do do is give you so many specifics that there is no place to insert your own creative elements to make the setting something unique to your game table. That's a key element in setting design in my opinion. You give the GM enough information so that they know the setting and are inspired to create games in it, but not so much that it stifles their creativity by answering all the questions and filling in all the blanks.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2019, 10:30:52 PM »
One other thing I did think of is that there are some things that aren't in the new books, at least not yet. Some of the stuff, like the artifacts, from the original box set Master Atlas & its addendums hasn't been included in the newer books. There has been talk of an "Artifacts" book, but I don't think it's officially confirmed. For example if you needed to look up the Guardian Mind you would have to look at the older books.

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2019, 01:28:41 AM »
Thank you for the answer, but I mean what are the updates in Jaiman book.

I'm planning to play the Great Campaign and I was looking for connections with Loremaster Legacy and Jaiman's book, to see if there is common material that can be used.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2019, 11:49:33 AM »
Thank you for the answer, but I mean what are the updates in Jaiman book.

I'm planning to play the Great Campaign and I was looking for connections with Loremaster Legacy and Jaiman's book, to see if there is common material that can be used.

I'll see if I can come up with something of a comparison between the two editions, and I can review the Grand Campaign material to see if anything jumps out at me.

Do you have any of the newer books or is it all 1st edition ShadowWorld?

I do think to do the Grand Campaign you would need multiple books. For example I am pretty sure the new Haalkitaine Terry is working on is supposed to have the sewer & catacomb maps. The new Tanara is present day with regards to the Grand Campaign, and the old one was set thousands of years ago.

With that said, this is just my own opinion. If you prefer the old books then use those, and don't worry about the new stuff. It's not like we didn't have fun games back in the day when the old books were all that existed.

I've been working on my own Grand Campaign concept, but it's more focused on Emer and will start in the Bay of Izar. It does take some of the concepts from the original Grand Campaign. I totally think it's cool you want to run that. It was a great adventure concept.

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2019, 12:29:14 PM »
I have only 1st edition of all shadow world books, plus Loremaster Legacy, that I have bought now.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2019, 01:06:01 AM »
Since there are some limits to what I can post given that Jaiman is ICE's IP, I am going to sum this up by giving a section comparison between the old and the new.

The Races section has been expanded and a number of new races are listed.

The History section is a good deal longer, and the third era timeline has been expanded considerably.

The Overview of Jaiman section in the original has 15 sections, and new one has added a number of new region descriptions for a total of 21 sections.

There is an addition to the maps section for the Watchtowers of U-Lyshak. A number of the area maps are now in color.

In reading over the Grand Campaign a lot has changed since it was written. Many of the characters / groups have been fleshed out in the Master Altas IV, and Powers of Light and Darkness. A number of them have very different roles from the ones described in the Grand Campaign. Some of the biggest changes are to Schrek, and his goals / weaknesses. There is a lot more about him in Emer III too, because that is where his home is. The grand campaign speaks of 5 Dragonlords, but the newer material has 6 of them. Nothing in the new material suggests Ulya Shek or Jenkyna are priestesses of the Steel Rain, nor are they or the dragonlords servants of the unlife.

I think what is in the Grand Campaign is pretty much compatible with all the 1e Shadow World material except parts of Tanara. but it's not as compatible with the 2e material. The biggest problem is the characters & organizations changed and those characters were then written into the major historical elements. If all you plan to do is 1e then this isn't really an issue, but if you planned to get future 2e books that describe new areas you would probably have to make a lot of changes.

I'm not going to say you should get new stuff just because it's new, because that would be daft. I just think you will find a lot more information about shadowworld in the newer sourcebooks.

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2019, 01:14:42 AM »
Thank you very much!