Author Topic: Bindings on the RM Classic books  (Read 2290 times)

Offline mibsweden

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Bindings on the RM Classic books
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:04:34 AM »
What kind of binding does the hardbound/collector's edition of RM Classic have?

GM'ing RM since 1984

Offline mibsweden

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Bindings on the RM Classic books
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »
I mean are the pages glued together or are they bound together by cloth (not talking about the material of the cover now).

Also how is the quality of the covers?
GM'ing RM since 1984

Offline ICEBruce

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »
All of our books use the same binding- from softcovers to through all the hardcovers.   We use a synthetic glue with about a 22lb pull which is the same as the sewn bindings.  The old perfect bounds generally had a hot animal glue with a 6-9 lb pull and the sewn bindings are around 18-24 depending on the quality.

Except in rare cases caused by a production error the pages do not EVER come out of books we have produced ourselves in the last couple of years.  The paper rips first- have experimented many times and even when the book spine is bent and creased completely the pages do not come out. 

The weakest point of all the bindings is actually the cover. It is easier to rip the cover off then it is to rip out a page.  This is even true of the various hardbounds.   I am not saying it is easy to rip the covers off but it is the weakest point.

The normal hardcovers are normal laminated stock mounted on hard board. The "leather" is mounted on the same hard board with some foam padding so it has a very nice feel   The leather is a good quality faux top grain leather and feels very nice.

The best are the clothbounds in my opinion.  They use a very sturdy cloth covering the same foam padding on the hard board. This cloth has a good "hand" and is a bit rough.  It is not that smooth linen you get on some hardbounds with slipcovers. This is exremely tough cloth that is resistant to pretty much anything including being cut with a utility knife as I found out by accident one day.

Offline mibsweden

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »
Thank you for the fast and thorough reply.

I will probably order the cloth bound then, after consultation with my gaming group.
GM'ing RM since 1984