Author Topic: Arrow Heads.  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
Arrow Heads.
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:20:08 AM »
Hello
has anyone ever worked out he differing effects of various arrow heads.  Removal penalties or additional damage....thoughts.

Found this website.  Trying to decide if this is valuable for Rolemaster or not.

http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=1147
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:33:30 AM by Greyaxe »
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Re: Arrow Heads.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:30:55 AM »
I've just started using a rule in the old Arms Companion on the effects of attach - but not on the effects of removal which I think is a GREAT idea! :)

This is what I've done so far - http://craigjohn.co.uk/share/RMFRP-Rules-Charts.pdf
(I created the arrowhead images myself)

It's the start of our group's EXTRA rules. As you can see, it's the first entry. There's more going to be added like the Morale rules from the RM Companion 4.

I'll start to think of the removal penatlies!

This, along with the potential changes to the way I currently deal with missile parrying (thanks to the current missile parrying topic http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=8224.0), will make my archers a little better in the group and make the archers something to be feared (as well they should be)! :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »
Ooooh yeah - looking at some of the info on that page, there's definitely going to be damage caused by removing arrows - specifically the Cut Arrow which I may actually decide that it delivers 'Slash' crits instead of 'Puncture' crits in the first place! :)

Bring on the PAIN!!

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »
Very neat.  I'm certainly no expert on this but I would have assumed the Bodkin arrow would have had a reduced range and not a bonus.  Not only is it heavier overall but it's very front heavy.  Another thought, in a standard quiver, I would think the heads of the Cut Arrows would get tangled up very easily.  I assume it's something that you carry only when you know you're going to use it for a specific purpose, like using it to cut through a rope.  A very fun thing for archers to play with!

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »
I would think the heads of the Cut Arrows would get tangled up very easily.  I assume it's something that you carry only when you know you're going to use it for a specific purpose, like using it to cut through a rope.  A very fun thing for archers to play with!

I see what you mean about the removal problems. I'm going to need to add in some difficulties on taking these out of the quiver - even if they're in a separate quiver altogether there's still going to be a problem. :)

As for their use - I think this explanation (bellow) is the closest to the old 'Arms Companion' definitions. Not the sort of arrow I want impaling me! But I never thought of the potential to cut ropes as well with it... I wonder if I should suggest it to the players or see if they manage to work it out for themselves. (The archer of the group is my 8yr old daughter so I may make a suggestion here and there for her.) :)

Leaf-head. Fitted with a broader, barbed head to inflict more damage. It does cutting damage rather than impaling. Sometimes called a "bowel-raker" because its barbed head inflicts extra damage, 1d-3 hits (min. 1), upon removal, unless a successful surgery roll (p. B56) is made. Accuracy is -1 and both 1/2D and Max ranges are reduced by STx5, due to the poor aerodynamics. Cost $3.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:54:26 PM »
For those large arrow heads, a quiver like this can solve the problem of entanglement;

http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/diamond-piece-arrow-quiver-p-7374.html?osCsid=r5rgp5tbl41mq1mhcse66mkhr6

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 06:00:30 PM »
You might also want to look at what was done for Rolemaster archery here: http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2007/feb/bows.html
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 06:06:49 PM »
This is what I've done so far - http://craigjohn.co.uk/share/RMFRP-Rules-Charts.pdf
(I created the arrowhead images myself)

Your cutting arrow image looks off.

Think of the head as a "V" with the shaft of the arrow starting at the point of the "V" and extending away from the "V" (i.e. not into the"V").
More like this:

----------------<

With the inside of the "V" being the cutting edges.

The idea is if the arrow is on target, the rope or cord or whatever will be hit within the "V" and the razor blade edges will cut the rope or cord or whatever.
With a head as in your image, the arrow or target could get 'pushed' to the side, resulting in only a partial cutting of the rope or cord or whatever.

DonMoody

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »
Hi Don

Your cutting arrow image looks off.

You're right - that link for the Guild Companion has some pics for the arrows - I'll amend that baby now.

It looks like what I thought to be a 'Cut Arrow' is actually a Barbed one - That's what you get when looking for images from a crude description (if only ICE would have used images in the Arms Companion so many years ago). :P

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 11:07:57 PM »
There is also something much like your "target arrow" commonly known as a "rabbit blunt". A common problem when using hunting tips against small game is the arrow going all the way through the animal and out the other side. If you don't get an instantaneous kill, the animal bolts and you lose the meal. Using a blunt does damage much like a sling stone (more broken bones) and usually knocks the animal unconscious.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 03:42:01 AM »
That makes sense for it's use (and why the Arms Companion originally said it should use the Krush Crits instead of the Puncture).

I was also thinking that it could be a useful weapon against skeletal undead as Puncture crits are ignored by them.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 12:28:10 PM »
SoHK also has some rules as well using the fletching skill to make arrows that fly twice as far, increase crit by one, bonuses vs certain AT's, etc.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »
Wow - You know, I've never actually looked into the Fletching skill in the SoHK as I just assumed I knew what it was from the RM2 days. I'll have to point my archer towards that. :)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
...and surprisingly, it actually mentions the other types of arrows that the old 'Arms Companion' (from the RM2 days) lists - but it doesn't seem to talk about them anywhere else in RMFRP (unless I missed that too?).