Author Topic: New Cantrip for Shapechangers?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline DBurgdorf

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New Cantrip for Shapechangers?
« on: January 07, 2008, 01:11:28 PM »
My son's character in the game I'm about to start has the "Shapechanging" Talent.  He loves the idea of having a shapechanger, but hates the fact that I'm enforcing the rule that his character's items and clothing don't change with his character.  :)

I'm trying to decide if I want to introduce a new cantrip to make his life just a little bit easier.  What I'm thinking of is a minor illusion, along the lines of Glowing Eyes, that will make him appear to be wearing a simple robe.  PP cost would probably be 2, with a duration of one minute per rank.  Like Glowing Eyes, the cantrip would "run" for the full designated duration, but only actually be active if he remembers and manages to keep concentrating on it.  ;P

Good idea?  Bad idea?  It seems to me that such a thing would be consistent with the power and role of other cantrips, but it's certainly possible there's a downside that I'm missing....

-- Darryl

(And by the way, on the subject of my previous question, I've decided to just "table the discussion," so to speak, for the time being.  I've declared simply that it's not easy to find a Cleric who can actually cast Lifegiving, and that even if a caster is found, the spell won't likely work if the target's been dead for more than a few hours.  *Why* exactly that's the case, I'll worry about later.  I've already delayed getting this game started too long because of tangential issues and background questions.  I'm far too much a "can't see the forest for the trees" guy; I have to keep reminding myself that I *don't* have to figure every single thing out in advance!)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: New Cantrip for Shapechangers?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »
I personally don't like to use the lack of clothing aspect - though I would apply it to armor and carried items.  Perhaps making the ability work for the individual and clothing made from natural animal skin.  Treated (hardened) leather would not work, but basic leather clothing would. 
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 08:07:28 AM »
You could always work clothing absorption in as an option (i.e. he has to spend an extra 10 DP getting the talent -- or he can improve the talent later to allow for it). However, anything worn or carried should never affect the other form (i.e. an absorbed metal breastplate should never give the creature form additional DB).

Or perhaps allow him to have a charm that he wears around his neck, that shifts all of his possessions into the ethereal plane when he changes shape, and shifts them back when he reverts back. (the charm looks like a collar) -- You could even send him on a quest for this charm. Perhaps he heard rumors of another shapechanger (who recently disappeared exploring a local dungeon) who had a charm like this.

In general, I try to give players what they want in some form or another, and I try to do it in a way that leads to adventures to be had. Make it so the players do some horse-trading (i.e. you go on this adventure with me, and I will go help you on that one over there) amongst themselves.

I don't just hand them things, but I turn it into goals, and then I give them ways to accomplish those goals. You always feel better when you earn something than you do when just given it...

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • from the pits of T'is K'ali to the starclad sky..
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 08:10:39 AM »
A cantrip can be a good idea!! but why don't even try for an universal spell? just something for "create dress". The dress can be temporary in nature and have no bonus to BD. scaling option can include better manifacture (starting from low quality clothes), longer duration, better size (base version being always too large or too small), better materials.

:) even a 3 or 4 PP spell. 

Italian fanzine for the d100 rpg