Author Topic: Quite possibly, the dumbest question...ever  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Mr. Fixit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Give it some gumption!
Quite possibly, the dumbest question...ever
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:20:28 AM »
Okay,
I was reading through my HARP core book for about the trillionth time, just to brush up on some things before our game session on Sunday, when I noticed on page 85 (softbound HARP, 2nd printing) this little gem under Combat Basics: Offensive Bonus.  It read that to determine total OB you add the Skill Rank bonus of the weapon or style with the Stat bonus for Ag and Str.  I paused and had a small stroke. 
All this time, I've only been using the Weapon skill bonus for OB, because it was comprised of ST/AG plus rank bonus.  Now if I am reading this correctly, you are meant to take Skill Rank Bonus AND your ST/AG bonus AGAIN. 
So if your St/Ag stat bonus is +15 and you have 6 ranks in a weapon (+30) making your total skill rank bonus +45, then your total OB for that weapon is +60 (skill rank bonus+ST/AG bonus)???
If this is the way it is meant to be then I have been GMing combat for this game totally wrong and come Sunday, my players are gonna lynch me.  Oh well, feel free to ridicule me without end or mercy for my simple and small brain (just please clear this question up first, before the pelting with rotten vegetables.)
"Give me an axe British man, and show me where to throw it!"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Quite possibly, the dumbest question...ever
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:24:52 AM »
skill rank bonus = bonus from the skill ranks, not the total skill bonus (i.e. 6 ranks give a skill rank bonus of 30, St/Ag of +10 would make Total bonus be 40, but the skill rank bonus would still be 30).

It is basically breaking down the total skill bonus into its various parts (on page 85) in an attempt to show you where all of you OB is coming from. You are not meant to add St/Ag twice.

Offline Mr. Fixit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Give it some gumption!
Re: Quite possibly, the dumbest question...ever
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:32:58 AM »
Ok, so I've been doing it right the whole time. Whew! Thanks for the clarification. I was about to cancel my campaign, pack my bags and flee to Guam in the middle of the night!
"Give me an axe British man, and show me where to throw it!"