Author Topic: Limitations on Long Door. That is, what are they?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Limitations on Long Door. That is, what are they?
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:19:24 PM »
I have some questions for the authors of HARP and the board concerning Long Door (one of my all time favorite spells from RM...).

Long Door doesn't seem to have a mass limitation or "stuff associated with target" limitation. Since we seem to presume (for modesty reasons if anything) that the target arrives wearing clothing, armor and equipment, does that mean ANYTHING being carried by the target gets teleported as well? For example, Aurora the Wizard casts Long Door on her friend Joel the Troll who has hoisted a wagon over his head - does the wagon go as well? So far, my interpretation has been fairly liberal (that is, mass be darned - if you can actually carry it - along it goes).

What if the target has a pet rat in a pocket? Does the rat stay behind since its a living target? I'm uncertain. If the pet doesn't go - what about parasitic worms or body lice?

Can a wizard effectively cast Long Door on a dumb animal like a horse? Admittedly, the HORSE would need to choose "Target teleports to a location of his choice..." so we would have to presume (a) the horse was a willing target (???) and (b) the horse could conceive a suitable choice (c) the wizard or companion suggests a choice to the horse via some suitable means

For example, the players wanted to teleport the horse across a river. The owner teleported across and held up a carrot for the horse. Since the horse could SEE where it would be going specifically to its owner holding a carrot, I reasoned it would CHOOSE to go there when the Long Door was cast on the horse. Is that clever use or just plain abuse? I thought it was cute and funny so naturally I allowed it...

Normally, I let physics, common sense and playability guide my GM decisions, but since Magic by definition defies physics for spellcasting we are left with self-consistency and playability. Mind you - the defiance of physics doesn't bother me too much (we're having fun with magic).

So what is the thinking? Thoughts?

PS I have another post about Change Object Size (my absolute Favorite spell).

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:27:50 PM by jurasketu »
It is better to be lucky than good, but it is *best* to be both.

When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Limitations on Long Door. That is, what are they?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 04:18:44 AM »
The mass limitation in Rolemaster for long door/teleport spells is the target's mass plus 50%. So enough for clothes, gear, etc., but not heavily laden wagons etc. (unless the target is a giant). It's a sensible limit to use in HARP.

The pet rat ought to be counted as a separate target. Parasites, body lice, etc., aren't levelled creatures so should not count. The horse would need to be given some direction (pun intended) to choose its destination - for a visible location, there's carrots in it, is viable.

best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 08:15:04 AM »
The +50% mass works as a good limitation, and it fits in with what I would have said regarding that what is "carried" must be within the target's aura.

A backpack would be within the aura, a cart lifted above one's head would not be.

As for the pet rat. If he is within the aura, then he goes.

Horse -- I like the carrot idea. Very clever use.

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:59:44 AM »
Okay. The mass limitation and "within target's aura" is very reasonable and relatively easy to adjudicate.

However, we seem to have a disagreement between Rasyr and Nicholas over the pet rat...

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 09:11:40 AM »
Okay. The mass limitation and "within target's aura" is very reasonable and relatively easy to adjudicate.

However, we seem to have a disagreement between Rasyr and Nicholas over the pet rat...

Is it level 0? If so, send it with its owner. If it's a giant rat, or a shapeshifter hiding out, or someone's familiar, I'd want a separate casting. That's my thoughts anyway. It all gets borderline with the very small creatures.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:34:08 AM »
Works for me. Thanks!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »
Right, a normal rat, or a normal small/tiny creature (no magical/special powers/abilities) or a familiar, I would have no problems sending with the target when he uses a Long Door. He is within target's aura and is "in tune" with or linked to the target in some manner.

Things like Giant rats, and things like sentient shapechangers and so forth are a different story altogether.

Nick and I may differ on opinions on some of the details, but that is okay, as it is what YOU consider accurate that matters since it is YOUR game.  ;D