Author Topic: Question about BMR  (Read 2888 times)

Offline John Duffield

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Life often teaches what we don't want to learn
    • Ennyn
Question about BMR
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:44:03 AM »
Hi,

I have started looking at customising some creatures and though I would reverse engineer some of the xisting ones.  This all works well until I get to BMR - no matter what I try I cannot get the BMR to come out like they are in the books (wolf or boar for example) - so this begs the question - what have I missed??

Any help very appreciated  :)
My website : Ennyn

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
Re: Question about BMR
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »
Hi teinedraig,

What are you converting them from?
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline John Duffield

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Ennyn
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 07:30:44 PM »
Hi Jason,

Was looking at modifying some of the HARP creatures for a world I am making.  After I posted I did a scrounge around in the archives and found a post (by Tommi if I remeber correctly) that outlined a method based upon quadraped, crawler or swimmer.
It worked fine (came close enough that I am happy with the numbers) - I added Above Average Species to the mix (gives 1/2 original Fast Species bonus)

An example is given below of what I was up to (I have not play tested these yet so need to balance them a bit)

Wolves
Grey Wolf
The most common wolf encountered all across Elendarhh, the grey wolf is a supreme hunter and predator.  Hunted by races for their pelts they are wary and aggressive towards humanoids as a rule.  They can weight between 80 ? 120 lbs.
Size : 4 ? ' long, 2 ?  '+ at the shoulder
Abilities : Enhanced Scent, Tough Hide (Minor), Survival Instinct, Above Average Species
IQ : The grey wolf is a pack animal, and it works very well with the others of its pack to bring down large game. Wolves only have animal intelligence, but they are extremely smart animals.
DB : +20 Stats; +15 Survival Instinct; +20 Tough Hide
Skills : Perception (12) 64, Tracking (4) 80 (+50 from Enhanced Scent)
Climate : Plains, Forest, Mountain

Great Wolf
A less common form of the grey wolf, the great is often referred to as the black wolf due to it's pelt being black with silver high lights.  Larger and more aggressive then the grey, they travel in smaller packs and hunt across a wide range.  They will actively drive away other predators if they can.  They can weight between 90 ? 160 lbs.
Size : 5 ? ' long, 3 '+ at the shoulder
Abilities : Enhanced Scent, Tough Hide (Minor), Survival Instinct, Lightning Reflexes, Above Average Species
IQ : The great wolf is a pack animal and behaves the same as it lesser brethren, they Grey Wolf.  Great Wolves work in smaller packs but are more effective hunters. Like Grey Wolves, Great Wolves only have animal intelligence, but they are extremely smart animals.
DB : +24 Stats; +20 Survival Instinct; +20 Tough Hide
Skills : Perception (15) 70, Tracking (6) 90 (+50 from Enhanced Scent)
Climate : Plains, Forest, Mountain

Fey Wolf
The fey wolf is a rare and seldom seen breed of wolf found only in deep forests.  Slightly more common in the White Isle and Silver Isle these wolves are the top predators for their area.  Resistant to magic they are often seen by the Shiar serving as guards for the Fey and are more frequent where the Fey are found.  They are similar in size to the great wolf and can weight between 90 ? 160 lbs.
Size : 5 ? ' long, 3 '+ at the shoulder
Abilities : Enhanced Scent, Tough Hide (Minor), Survival Instinct, Lightning Reflexes, Above Average Species
IQ : The Fey Wolf is both a loner and a pack animal.  When in a pack they work well together to bring down large game and protect their territory. Fey Wolves have a more then animal intelligence and are considered extremely smart animals.
DB : +24 Stats; +25 Survival Instinct; +20 Tough Hide
Skills : Perception (18) 76, Stalk&Hide (5) 38, Tracking (6) 90 (+50 from Enhanced Scent)
Climate : Forest, Mountain

Dire Wolf
The dire wolf is a very rare giant breed of wolf found only in deep forests.  They are a fearsome and aggressive foe who will attack almost anything.  Some species of Goros have bred a sub species that they use as mounts.  Like many of the dire breeds, they are the result of wild magic along ley lines which now breed true. They can weight between 800 ? 900 lbs.
Size : 9 ' long, 5 ? '+ at the shoulder
Abilities : Enhanced Scent, Tough Hide (Major), Survival Instinct, Lightning Reflexes, Fast Species
IQ : The wolf is a pack animal, and it works very well with the others of its pack to bring down large game. Wolves only have animal intelligence, but they are extremely smart animals.
DB : +22 Stats; +40 Survival Instinct; +40 Tough Hide(Major)
Skills : Perception (20) 80, Stalk&Hide (8 ) 54, Tracking (8 ) 100 (+50 from Enhanced Scent)
Climate : Forest, Mountain
Statistics
Code: [Select]
Name Lvl Sz BMR Init DB Hits Attacks # Enc Outlook Treasure STAM WILL MAG
Grey 3 M 16 20 55 115 75 M Puncture 2-20 Hostile - - -    39 30 30
Great 4 M 18 22 64 129 84 M Puncture 1-10 Aggressive - - -    63 45 45
Fey 5 M 18 22 69 134 104 M Puncture 1-4 Aloof    - - -    61 45 65
Dire 8 L 25 21 102 249 119 L Puncture 1-2 Aggressive - - -    119 95 75

Code: [Select]
Name St Co Ag Qu SD Re In Pr End PP RR Stam RR Will RR Magic
Grey 0 2 2 6 0 0 0 0 50 - 5 5 5
Great 2 4 2 7 0 0 0 0 55 - 10 10 10
Fey 2 3 3 7 0 0 0 0 55 - 10 10 15
Dire 8 12 4 6 0 0 0 0 150 - 40 40 20

I have done the same for Boars and Bears - so I am filling in the 'mundane' before I look at what magical creatures exist.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 07:35:43 PM by teinedraig »

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 03:54:59 AM »
BMR 16'' fits fine.

18'' to 25'' is too much. Especially 25'' - pace 5 ~ 42.25mph ~ acrobatics pace 5 sprint w/ 120% -> 50.7mph

Ok, it's fantasy. But  i think a bison or a deer should be faster.

Prolly chose about 16''-18'' + blazing speed = 21''-23''

Offline John Duffield

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Ennyn
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 05:06:34 AM »
Choc,

You are right.  I modified the speed to length tables a bit and now have 16,17,17 and 19 for their BMR.  Changed the Dire Wolf back to an above average species as well.

Thankyou for the feedback.

Oh, anyone interested in the tables that I have modified from the ones by Tommi?