Author Topic: Martial Arts Styles  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Martial Arts Styles
« on: December 11, 2007, 06:46:35 AM »
Hello, I'm doing some world development and would like to add some Martial Arts styles.  Is there a MA companion on the way for HARP?  Does anybody have some MA styles made that they would be willing to contribute?
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Martial Arts Styles
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:21:58 AM »
There are some Martial Arts styles in both the core rules and in Martial Law, and some in the Cyradon core book as well.

However, there isn't any specific Martial Arts book for HARP.

Now, I am working on some style rules for RMC, and I am  planning on trying to do a version that would work for HARP as well. But the HARP version won't be done for several months, not until the RMC version has been released.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 06:37:27 AM »
I've started working on some rules of creating Fighting Styles too, but didn't want to proceed if there were official rules coming down the pipe.

Offline Salad Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 02:01:52 PM »
I've been thinking about the same thing, and I have a couple of non-playtested martial arts styles I can share.  I don't even have Martial Law yet, so I've only been able to compare these to the couple of styles in the Core book, so I'd be happy to have these critiqued for balance.

Falling Boulders Style (St):  emulates the unstoppable avalanche.  Practitioners gain +10 to OB when attacking with no parry to DB, and gain a +10 to maneuver checks for knockdowns attempts.

Flowing Water Style (Ag):  imitates the yielding nature of water.  Practitioners add their Insight bonus (if positive) to DB against melee attacks when attacking with this style, and make subdual attacks with a -10 modifier to the attack roll instead of the usual -20. 

Surgeon's Knife Style (Ag):  a short sword weapon kata that especially targets the opponents veins; any bleeding results on the critical table are increased by 1 point per round.

Again, I'm not sure if some of these are overpowered, or if they actually ought to scale up more.  Especially flowing water, should that be an additional Insight bonus to DB at every 10 full ranks?
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
-RAH

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 07:10:14 PM »
I've been working on some creation mechanics based on Martial Law and College of Magics.  I certainly don't hink your styles are over powered.  I like the Falling Boulder style.  Something I never would have considered.