Author Topic: Magestaff  (Read 2954 times)

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Magestaff
« on: November 28, 2007, 12:57:20 PM »
One of my players recently wanted to learn the Magestaff spell and after reading the description(s) two questions came up:

1) Mage Sphere: In CoM it is shown as a Thaumaturge only spell, but in the Codex also as part of the Mage sphere. I assume the information of the Codex is the correct one, because this book is newer, but it would be great to know for sure.

2) Dual Adder: The scaling option Dual Adder describes that the staff can be both, Spell and PP adder. Is this option stackable with the ?Increase from +x to +y? option? As an example: My mage has created a PP Adder and cast Dual Adder on it. At a higher level can he enhance it up to a ?+5 PP and +5 Spell Adder? or only up to a maximum of a ?+5PP and +1 Spell Adder? (or the way around)?

Thanks for your help.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Magestaff
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 01:21:46 PM »
I'd say, and that's the way we do it, if it is a dual adder you are allowed to increase both to get your first option of +5 PP Adder and +5 Spell Adder. Makes it really powerful but nonetheless possible!
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 02:00:15 PM »
One of my players recently wanted to learn the Magestaff spell and after reading the description(s) two questions came up:

1) Mage Sphere: In CoM it is shown as a Thaumaturge only spell, but in the Codex also as part of the Mage sphere. I assume the information of the Codex is the correct one, because this book is newer, but it would be great to know for sure.

Yes. The original intent was for Magestaff to be in both Magician and Thaumaturge circles.

2) Dual Adder: The scaling option Dual Adder describes that the staff can be both, Spell and PP adder. Is this option stackable with the ?Increase from +x to +y? option? As an example: My mage has created a PP Adder and cast Dual Adder on it. At a higher level can he enhance it up to a ?+5 PP and +5 Spell Adder? or only up to a maximum of a ?+5PP and +1 Spell Adder? (or the way around)?

Yes

best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
Great, thanks for the fast reply.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:31:21 PM »
Also, in the Cyradon setting book, it specifically says that Mages from Tarahir often learn the Magestaff spell.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"