Author Topic: Possible House Rule: Roll under skill?  (Read 2884 times)

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
Possible House Rule: Roll under skill?
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:04:03 PM »
I don't know why this really popped into my head, but I was thinking I wonder if there was a quick and easy way to give all skills a generic bonus so that all of the total skill bonuses were higher.

The idea was instead of rolling D100 + Total skill, it would be roll D100 under the Total skill to be successful.  So having a higher skill is still a good thing.

I know that house rule would mess with things, but like I said it just popped into my head.  I have a player that is terrible at math, and that is where the idea came from.

Just an idea, not really all that impressed by it, but there it is.  Feel free to discuss, hehe.

https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Possible House Rule: Roll under skill?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 01:18:54 PM »
Sounds familiar... maybe you should rename it to RuneQuest  :D

To be honest I think changing HARP to a ?roll under? system would need lots more tweaking than expected. Think of the attack rolls that is the same as a combined damage and to-hit roll. It would require a lot of math on the other side of the problem or that you roll twice, once for to-hit and a second time to resolve the damage.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 01:40:01 PM »
Another idea is to sit down with that player's character sheet, and make a list of every skill, and then list is total bonus, and then what is needed for each difficulty.

[tabular type=5]
[row] [head]Skill[/head] [head]Total Bonus[/head] [head]Routine[/head] [head]Easy[/head][head]Light[/head][head]Medium[/head][head]Hard[/head][head]Very Hard[/head][head]Extremely Hard[/head][head]Sheer Folly[/head][head]Absurd[/head] [/row]
[row] [data]Skill 1[/data] [data]68[/data] [data]01[/data] [data]12+[/data] [data]32+[/data][data]52+[/data][data]72+[/data][data]92+[/data][data]112+[/data][data]132+[/data][data]152+[/data][/row]
[row] [data]Skill 2[/data] [data]27[/data] [data]33+[/data] [data]53+[/data] [data]73+[/data][data]93+[/data][data]113+[/data][data]133+[/data][data]153+[/data][data]173+[/data][data]193+[/data][/row]
[/tabular]

That way, you just say make a roll for Skill 2 and tell me the most highest difficulty rating you beat.

He rolls, he gets a 79 on the dice. He looks and says, "I beat a Light Maneuver". And then you can apply the results of the skill from there....

Just a suggestion....  ;D

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 02:42:02 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess you could make combat, and attack spells as normal, and do all other skills roll under.  But then people would get confused as to which to use, low or high rolls, hehe. 

For non-combat skills I thought giving out a generic +30 bonus (or more) to all non-combat related skills to make the roll under work.  But I'm sure that has all sorts of problems like you mentioned.

I never played Runequest.

Like I said, just a random idea.
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 05:49:28 AM »
Just for the records (and to make sure I don't have it all backwards):
If he really rolled a 79 and has a bonus of 27, he managed a medium (unmodified) maneuver, I believe
Also, for a success you have to get more than 100, not 100 or higher (core rules, p. 67: "A character is successful with rolls totaling 101 or higher").
01 - 05 is always a fumble.

Thus, the correct table should read:
[tabular type=3]
[row]
[head]Skill[/head]
[head]Total Bonus[/head]
[head]Routine (+60)[/head]
[head]Easy (+40)[/head]
[head]Light (+20)[/head]
[head]Medium (-)[/head]
[head]Hard (-20)[/head]
[head]Very Hard (-40)[/head]
[head]Extr. Hard (-60)[/head]
[head]Sheer Folly (-80)[/head]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Skill 1[/data]
[head]68[/head]
[data]06+[/data]
[data]06+[/data]
[data]13+[/data]
[data]33+[/data]
[data]53+[/data]
[data]73+[/data]
[data]93+[/data]
[data]113+[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Skill 2[/data]
[head]27[/head]
[data]14+[/data]
[data]34+[/data]
[data]54+[/data]
[data]74+[/data]
[data]94+[/data]
[data]114+[/data]
[data]134+[/data]
[data]154+[/data]
[/row]
[/tabular]

Probably Rasyr just mixed up a column, but I thought I'd rather post it. Or am I completely wrong?
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Ramoran

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 07:32:40 PM »
Give him a calculator.