Author Topic: A different aproach to the harper  (Read 3652 times)

Pecete

A different aproach to the harper
« on: November 05, 2007, 10:37:46 AM »
I am working in changing the harper class and oviously his spells would be cast in a diferent way:
I would like that the harper spells would be like songs and they would last as long as the harper is singuing for concentration spells, each spell would afected by a diferent way of casting, for example singuing or playing instrument, of course thouse spells would be afected by the skill at wich the harper plays or sings, I would apreciate any idea to make this class a bit different from the others.

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: A different aproach to the harper
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:27:36 AM »
Hi
If You've got the College of Magic, You'll seeing differents focus about casting spells: somatic (move of the body), gestural (move of one hand),verbal (speaking the mystical incantations), trance (use Mental Focus maneuver...like Mentalist in old RM...) and song (use with singing or musical instruments). With an Harper the choices are clear: song w/ another focus style.
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:33:41 AM »
As black flag wrote, but i would neither singing + verbal nor play the guitar + gestural allow. (or verbal + flute)

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:47:36 AM »
You're right!
If Your Harper play power violence or thrahscore to cast spells: the fumble is certain! :D
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Pecete

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »
As I played Everquest, my thinking was something like:
Harper songs dont use power points, harpers songs each use a diferent instrument for its playing wich there are 4 types:
Singuing
String instruments (Mandolin type)
Wind Instruments (flute type)
Percusion Instrument (Tambourine type)
Brass Instrument (Oboe)
Each song requires a diferent skills to being cast has different reuse time if needed, and may only permit combinations on singuing and percusion or string intrument and so on, more powerfull songs require more skill on the type of instrument.
for example:
Breath underwater song
Skill and instrument required wind instrument (flute)
Skill needed 4 skills at flute instrument (for example)
upgraded options:
for each other member afected 3 skills in wind instrument
for each 10' more area of effect afecting 2 skill more in wind instrument

Note when playing a wind instrument a bard will only be able to do other things wich require only one hand (there are wind instruments wich require only one hand to play them) but will not be able to sing singued required songs

Haste song
singued song, player will be able to sing haste for himself during combat, but if he wants to combat he will be not able to do any other thing
for each other player beeing afected by song 3 skills more in singuing

heal song
Stringued instrument player can heal 3 hits for each round of concusion hits
increasing heal rate to 5 hits/round +3 skills in stringued song
healing 1 hit/round bleeding 5 skills in string instrument

Stun Song
Singuing song
player yields his potent voice causing stun to the targuet target will have a RR for his stun
after this brutal song bard will need 3 rounts of recuperation until he can sing another stun song
for each aditional round of stun caused 5 skills in singuing (may need more additional rounds of recuperation)

Does the idea like to anybody?

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 07:11:33 PM »
I don't play HARP and RM very seldom, but I like the concept that Songs need a
special type of instrument, e.g. a wind instrument for Waterbreathing, or a Harp for
Healing etc. But this means the Harper have to carry four (4) different instruments
around.
In the end no Harper would like it ...

Maybe wrong instrument = penalty ?

BTW in RL oboe is a wind instrument like the flute.
Brass means trumpet and the like (again in RL.)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Pecete

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 07:56:03 PM »
Usually when refering to wind instruments in RL we talk about wood (even bone) instruments the ones made by metal are brass instruments, I know that in these a days you can make a flute out of plastic, but that is not the case for medieval fantasy roll playing game.

and you are right its a mistake I should have said trumpet instead of oboe sorry

And I like the idea for penalty -50 for not playing the required instriment (basicly singuing instead of playing instruments)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:10:10 PM by Pecete »