Author Topic: RMC Spell lists in HARP  (Read 3357 times)

Offline MaxUgg

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMC Spell lists in HARP
« on: October 31, 2007, 04:19:20 AM »
I really like HARP but I also really like the old RM2 Spell Lore - it seems like an easy enough 'shoe in' just use the spell learning rules in RMX.

Can anyone think of any problems that would present them selves using this method? Well I guess I would have to either shift to using the spell crits and armour system as presented in HB 11 or use a best fit from SL & AL on an ad hoc basis but that should not be to hard either.

Thanks in advance for advice and so on.

\Max
Everything is IMNSHO and always YMMV applies

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: RMC Spell lists in HARP
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 04:42:07 AM »
Maybe you could find interesting this link  :)

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=5224.0
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline MaxUgg

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 04:59:14 AM »
thanks Arioch but I have seen that thread and it is interesting but it is about converting the spell lists in to the HARP format and not using the spell lists and system as presented in SL instead of using the HARP spell system.

thanks for the input but still searching for that perfect answer :)
Everything is IMNSHO and always YMMV applies

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 05:49:54 AM »
I don't see why you couldn't do that. It should work just fine. Just keep in mind

1) Spell List Skill Bonus = rank bonus for list, plus stats -- treat it just like any other skill

2) Allow casting above one's level, but use either the Class IV spell rules from EA#3 or the ESF overcasting rules from Spell Law (which one you use depends on how far above their level you want to allow them to cast.

3) Understand that this is not really tested, so you may come up with some glitches (be sure to warn players as well).

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 06:33:20 AM »
perhaps this way:
http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2006/aug/irregularspellacquisition.html

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 07:03:19 AM »
That is a method for organizing/learning HARP spells in a manner that approximates RM spell lists. That is a bit different from his request of using RM lists in HARP.

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 07:50:41 AM »
In HARP you learn each spell seperately. In RM you learn a list of spells (4-10 spells with scaling per list)

It's a bit imbalanced if you learn a whole spelllist like a single spell. (incl overcast)
It's like a fighter can learn a weapon category (1-hand, 2-hand, missile)

The guildcompanion example uses 2 skills for al list.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 08:40:26 AM »
I don't think that it would be unbalanced to learn lists intead of spells, since all HARP spells include scaling options, which make each of them a little spell list on its own...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 08:55:18 AM »
In HARP you learn each spell seperately. In RM you learn a list of spells (4-10 spells with scaling per list)

It's a bit imbalanced if you learn a whole spelllist like a single spell. (incl overcast)
It's like a fighter can learn a weapon category (1-hand, 2-hand, missile)

The guildcompanion example uses 2 skills for al list.

But the Guild Companion example (which I wrote... hehe) is creating a list from several scalable spells. @ skills were used as a method of Spell Chains becoming too powerful (i.e. 6 ranks in the chain and he can cast all of the spells from the chain).

RM spell lists on the other hand (with the suggestion I made about allowing only limited overcasting based on level of player versus level of spell), don't require 2 skills because a few number of ranks would not be enough for all the spells on the list.