Author Topic: Vehicles in Rolemaster  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Skynet

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Vehicles in Rolemaster
« on: October 18, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »
I did not read a lot of topics about this and I'm curious to ask :

What are your favorite modern vehicle rules? I specify "modern" because I'm not talking about space combat, but good ol' car chases and combat. I found two official systems for that :

1. Pulp Adventures : Comparing C criticals or better to a table.
2. Black Ops : The more hits a vehicle takes, to more chance it has to stop working (all-or-nothing % roll).

Have you used them? Which one's your favorite? Do you have a homebrew system to deal with vehicle in your modern games?

Personally, I'm more a fan of the Pulp Adventure approach. The critical table offers more color and possibilities to vehicle combat.

Maybe you use the Spacemaster:Privateer vehicle combat system? Do you thing it's better suited for car combat than the other two?

Come on, people. Give me some vehicle love!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Vehicles in Rolemaster
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 07:03:55 PM »
I avoid vehicle combat like the plauge, unless it involves old galleys or ships of sail.

When I have to use vehicle combat, I used the simple attack table in SM, either SM2 or Privateers has the basics. 

I also liked the Pulp Adventures chase rules.  Much more useful.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Skynet

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 12:20:41 PM »
Giving the number of replies I got here, I guess a lot of people are thinking just like you, yammahoper. Or maybe most people are just playing straight fantasy, with little to no use of vehicle rules. Anyway, thanks a lot yamma.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 12:43:09 PM »
Most of my "vehicle attacks" resolve as breakage rolls, or the material rules in SL. . .like, "Did that fireball wreck the galley?" or "How solid a battleaxe shot would it take to break the wagon wheel?"

With few enclosed vehicles outside ships, people usually get attacked on vehicles, rather than in them, so they apply as cover more than anything else. (And most vehicles are "Horse" "Pony" "Mule")
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:45:43 PM »
Well, I do mind ship combat because I have Sea Law, which has all the rules and crit tables for it, AND I have stripped it down and made it even faster and easier (I have other games I play when I want a good tactical simulation, not rpg's).

The SM rules are also fast and simple (one attack table, various types of malfunctions/damage).  The SM table is designed to equal 1 hit/ton (so a 30 ton craft has 30 hits and is obliterated if it takes 30+ hits), but it aint hard to mod the hit/weight ratio down for cars and the like.

We...well, not me, but OTHER GM's have mixed games systems with SM, the most memorable being Battle Tech, which has a simple hit point system but is well fleshed out.  I tried to marry HERO vehicle rules to my RM/SM games, but I did not fully enjoy the results and have not tried again.

Still, as a GM, I basically wing vehicle combat...or avoid it ;)

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 05:04:30 PM »
 In the past I have used SM:P VM, SM2's Armored Assault and Star Strike but now I am using BattleTech as I like the vehicles to take specific damage in locations. I have not had the chance to rewrite the rules for SM yet using this idea.
 I also like to simple ruleings in BO and PA. One this i might do is have a safe speed or a basespeed that vehicles move and depending on the vehicle roll it may move farther up to thier maxspeed.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.