Author Topic: Sithi Harper(?)  (Read 5450 times)

drsmitty

Sithi Harper(?)
« on: September 23, 2007, 12:56:03 AM »
Starting a Cyradon campaign and one of the players wants to play a Sithi Harper.  She actually rolled a 100 (using option 1 stat generation method) which she has applied to her Presence stat; thus with the Sithi racial bonuses this ought to make for one potent Harper.

Referencing the ?College of Magics, I was thinking initially that it would make sense that the mana source for an elvish Harper would be ?personal,? and the focus style would be ?song.?  I am somewhat confused, however, as to whether or not this will jive with what the Cyradon book says about the Sithi/Cella tradition (Cyradon, p120).  Do these colored components imply that Sithi spell casters are using ?fixed? mana? 

Also, there is no ?focus? specifically mentioned for the Cella tradition, but it does compare and contrast their use of spell components to the Drei, who apparently use a combination verbal and gesture focus style.  Would it be correct to conclude then that a Sithi spell caster must use a fixed mana source with a verbal/gesture focus?

Finally given the sphere listed in Cyradon for the Sithi, I am begining to wonder if a Harper is even possible in the Sithi tradition, or are the Cella just one tradition among the Sithi, at least according to official canon?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Sithi Harper(?)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:18:52 AM »
Okay, several points here....

The Cealla is the Sithi version of a Mage (i.e. from the core rules), a single profession. They have no connections with Harpers.

You can have Harpers that use the same Tradition as the Cealla or who have their other methods.

As for the colored components -- that is how Sithi mages view magic, as a rainbow of color (like Skittles), and the stuff in their pouch works to aid them in drawing on that magic. So long as a Cealla has his pouch, he should be considered to have enough components to cast spells (i.e. no need to track what is in the pouch, so long as the Cealla keeps looking for things to add).. He doesn't use fixed mana, per se, but his components are normally consumed in casting. Occasionally, he might find an item of exceptional color and hue (i.e. it grants a special bonus to casting)

And please, don't confuse "Traditions" with the focus and source rules from CoM, they are two completely different, unconnected things.

drsmitty

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 02:57:40 PM »
I appreciate the clarification on the Harper, Rasyr.  If it states somwhere that the Cella are specifically Sithi Mages I guess I missed it.

And please, don't confuse "Traditions" with the focus and source rules from CoM, they are two completely different, unconnected things.

Forgive me for being a little slow, but I'm not completely clear on this.  Do the traditions have no bearing then on the use of focus or tap?  When I read some of the desriptions of these traditions they seem to imply a specific focus for the tradition (such as the Drei use of gestures and words), or even expressly state the use of a focus (as with the Pascalline Order's use of a weapon).  I guess I don't understand how this is different from the focus rules in CoM?

Thanks again for the help!  My players are excited about starting their adventures in Cryadon.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 03:44:11 PM »
Page 128 of Cyradon, the section on Alternate Spheres. It basically indicated that the Drei, Cealla, and Trallen Spheres are alternate Mage Spheres.

Forgive me for being a little slow, but I'm not completely clear on this.  Do the traditions have no bearing then on the use of focus or tap?  When I read some of the desriptions of these traditions they seem to imply a specific focus for the tradition (such as the Drei use of gestures and words), or even expressly state the use of a focus (as with the Pascalline Order's use of a weapon).  I guess I don't understand how this is different from the focus rules in CoM?

Traditions are one set of rules. Focus/Tap is a different set of rules. They are not related to one another, other than in the fact that they both cover the same basic ground.

You can use Traditions for some spell users and you can use Focus/Tap for others in the same game. However, you should not try to apply both sets of rules to a single spell user.

Specific Traditions say you have to do/have xx or you cast with yy penalty. The Tap/Focus rules have different requirements and penalties for not meeting those requirements.

Is that any clearer?

drsmitty

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 08:16:35 PM »
Page 128 of Cyradon, the section on Alternate Spheres. It basically indicated that the Drei, Cealla, and Trallen Spheres are alternate Mage Spheres.

Doh!  Sure enough, I see it now.

Is that any clearer?

Yes, much clearer.  Thank you!   :)