Author Topic: Building a world  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Gavstjames

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Building a world
« on: September 11, 2018, 12:15:07 PM »
HI
Sadly I havent roleplayed for a good 10 years but I am looking to get back into it, specifically rolemaster.
Back in the day being a GM was my thing and I loved creating dungeons, worlds and races.

I seem to recall a ICE sourcebook that gave detailed instruction on how to geographically build a world, i.e mountains, rivers......

Can anyone recall what it was and if the rolemaster system is the best one available? I havent looked at GURPS or HARP.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Building a world
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:32:27 PM »
There were sections in the core RM2 stuff that went into this, and I recall Spacemaster had more detailed stuff (creating worlds in the plural is sort of a SciFi standard). Is it the best? It depends, frankly, on how much guidance you need when creating a world. I always believed in tailoring the environment to suit my campaign needs, so I didn't use much of that stuff. Others here really get into the nuts and bolts of (literal) world-building.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 01:42:01 PM »
you mean "RM2 Campaign Law" my technical favorit.

resources i have found useful over the years:

RMFRP -- Gamemaster Law
Gary Gygaxs World Builder
Gary Gygaxs Living Fantasy

maybe after that you may also want to look at:

The KOBOLD Guide to Worldbuilding
Judges Guild -- Magical World Builders Guide
AD&D World Builders Guidebook

loots of random tables:

AEG -- Ultimate Toolbox
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline Gavstjames

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »
Thanks to both of you.
Im picking Rolemaster back up because basically I want to get my kids into it and i really loved RPG's.
I told a white lie, its more like 20 years :)
I was looking at getting the rolemaster books, the companions, the individual magic companions and underground races.....then I saw the prices on ebay and Amazon. :)

Anyway, enough of me chunnering on, thanks again for the responses.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »
RM2 - Character Law & Campaign Law definitely. 

There is another RM2 Companion that has info for creating weather patterns I believe. 

Creatures and Treasures has charts for adding the wildlife and encounters.

It really depends on how granular you want to drill down into your gaming world.  I have a lot of this stuff photocopied and placed in a single 3-ring binder that I pull everything from in a jiffy.  I'd have to look at the charts and give you the source book it's from.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:02:58 AM »
I recall an old game of my youth, namely "Other suns", that had very extensive world-building rules.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.