Author Topic: Modifying Monsters  (Read 960 times)

Offline Haxxx5

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Modifying Monsters
« on: July 29, 2018, 03:26:30 AM »
hello everyone,
I recently started a new RMSS group and I hit a small rules wall: how do I modify monsters?
Manly I don't know how to balance OB and DB acording to Lvl change.

For example:
one of the players got in his background a magical pet instead of a matic weapon. (I'm using Central Casting for the background and the pet was too awsome not to include. I always start everyone with a mid tier magic item from the background options so he got that pet with 4 spell store charges).
I want his pet to be a Lvl 1 Smilodon, so a - 6 level difference. I modified the size to medium and the Hits to 60 (the lowest I can) but the OB seem a bit too high for me.

Is there a guide how to create balanced monsters?

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Modifying Monsters
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 05:17:43 AM »
The default is +/-5 OB per level if you're adjusting an existing monster. DB doesn't generally change.

Mostly, though, it's a matter of eye-balling things, especially if you're building from scratch or making significant level adjustments.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Modifying Monsters
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »
You can also take a monster with stats you know are correct for the level of the PCs, and give it a new description in order to create a new monster. Fire breath as the 6th level Fire Law spell can become cold breath as the 6th level Ice Law spell, bite attack can become pincer attack, etc.

Just play test a bit using the PCs stats to make sure the concussion damage isn't too high.