Author Topic: Whats the meaning of a spell effect discription for Nature Summons (Druid Base)  (Read 850 times)

Offline r0bperry

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RM2E compendium 5 has an additional Druid Spell list called Nature's Summons (pg 55 RMC5). The spell list doesn't concern me, but the disclaimer prior is difficult to actually understand. As a note it says that spell levels 10-16> take at least 6-12 hrs to cast but only have a 2% chance per level of the caster to actually work and product a desired effect. My player looks at this and basically says it's useless to try and cast any spell in this range, because even if everything is done correctly and the spell goes off without any problems, there is a chance it won't work, and might even backfire. With these kinds of notes it makes casting of some spells restrictive, and really useless.

So do I take it to mean that even if the spell is cast with no problems but the required percentage chance the spell still wont work is not made, that the spell is a bust? Or is this like a lingering effect that has potential to still take effect over time? I think that aspect would be a house rule, but just making sure the note is understood is my primary focus here.

Any help would be great.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I think the higher level spells are intended really for only very high level casters. 2% x 1 is terrible, but when you get to level 20 or 30 you get a 40% or 60% chance of success. That still is not great though; to make the spell at all attractive, you might need to increase it to 5% a level.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Presumably it's meant to balance out the area of effect, which for many of these spells is a radius of 1 mile per level. You can do serious terraforming with this list. It's not that big a deal in combat but you could end a drought or, conversely, destroy miles of farmland. Situationally very powerful. These are the sorts of effects it might be casting the spell multiple times over a week to achieve.

The phrasing is odd, though, giving 2%/lvl chance for level 10-16 spells and also for level 17-30 spells. I wonder if one of those is a typo. I could certainly see raising the chance for the level 10-16 spells.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster