Author Topic: Most useful/common languages - ones a well traveled Sailor would pick up  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
So my new character was raised as a Sailor and visited the farthest reaches trade ships are likely to travel.

What are some of the most commonly spoken languages that Sailors in SW could learn?  The campaign is starting in Quellborne, so Seoltang will be one of them.

Thanks,
Mal

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
I would guess at a couple of common tongues, such as Jaimani-Erlin, which is the Jaiman dialect of Erlin, and Shay, the common tongue of Emer.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
I would guess at a couple of common tongues, such as Jaimani-Erlin, which is the Jaiman dialect of Erlin, and Shay, the common tongue of Emer.

Indeed, almost everyone speaks a little Erlin, and also in Jaiman a common language among the Jameri is Rhaya. In Quellbourne you might also run into Syrkakar and Lotana.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thanks guys!  With my initial 10 ranks I figure Erlini, Shay and Seoltang; with 2 in spoken and 1 in written.  Then maybe gather some in Syrkakar and Lotar. 

Mal

Offline crystalline_entity

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0

Indeed, almost everyone speaks a little Erlin

How far can you get knowing only Erlin? I assume that it's not a problem somewhere cosmopolitan like Sel-Kai, even amongst the less-educated, but could you expect to hold a conversation with the inhabitants of a remote homestead in rural Xa-ar in Erlini, or would you need Lotana or Rhaya?