Author Topic: RMC DriveThruRPG POD print quality  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Evilboy

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMC DriveThruRPG POD print quality
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
Hi All,

New poster, but been lurking awhile... :)

I recently ordered print copies of all the RMC books from DriveThru. They are very nicely done, and I have no real complaints...however, something about the Spell Law printing has nagged me to the point where I finally thought I'd ask around.

The front first page of the book is offset so that the words "Spell Law" are cutoff at the top so that they are not present on the page. In addition, the pages throughout the book looks to be printed at a lower resolution, compared to the other books, so that the text has sort of a "dot matrix" look instead of solid black text.

I thought this might be just a bad print (and again, want to point out that it wasn't a deal breaker, just something that was sort of nagging me), so i was considering just ordering another copy...but the sample PDF for Spell Law's entry has the same offset problem with the front page, so I am worried that the new copy would have the exact same issues.

Really, the offset issue isn't a big deal to me, as much as the lower resolution printing. What I am asking is...is this a known issue, or just a problem with my one printing? If it's an issue and not correctable I am OK with that, as the book is perfectly usable. However my nagging need for perfection would probably lead me to order another copy if the second would have a better print job.

Thanks!!

P.S. the books are great and I am thankful a legal print option exists in the first place. ;)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC DriveThruRPG POD print quality
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »
 You should contact Nicholas H.M. Caldwell with this problem as I think he handles all of that stuff for the Guild Companion Publishing.

If I was to guess, the fact that it is in the PDF would mean that the print run is based off the PDF files so the problem lies there.
  It does sound like a strange problem though as I just looked at my PDF of RMC Spell Law and did not see the problem you are talking about. Maybe there was a file change and I still have the old file.

Anyway I would contact Nicholas as I said above and he should be able to help you out.

Welcome to the ICE Forums.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Evilboy

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »
Thanks!

If you look at the "full size preview" at this link you'll see what I mean:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/88654/Rolemaster-Classic-Spell-Law?term=spell+law

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:27:33 AM »
It is also important to note that some of those reprints come with a disclaimer that they are scanned copies or not originals and are therefore lower quality.  It's possible the Spell Law book is one of those.  It's one of the reasons I was reluctant purchase a couple of the books myself.  I'd rather search E-bay for an original used copy in great condition than the reprint that already comes with the warning of "lower quality."

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/96430/Sea-Law
Publisher's Note: This product was created from image scans and so its quality is imperfect. It is a searchable pdf

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 12:40:37 AM »
Hi All,

New poster, but been lurking awhile... :)

I recently ordered print copies of all the RMC books from DriveThru. They are very nicely done, and I have no real complaints...however, something about the Spell Law printing has nagged me to the point where I finally thought I'd ask around.

The front first page of the book is offset so that the words "Spell Law" are cutoff at the top so that they are not present on the page. In addition, the pages throughout the book looks to be printed at a lower resolution, compared to the other books, so that the text has sort of a "dot matrix" look instead of solid black text.

I thought this might be just a bad print (and again, want to point out that it wasn't a deal breaker, just something that was sort of nagging me), so i was considering just ordering another copy...but the sample PDF for Spell Law's entry has the same offset problem with the front page, so I am worried that the new copy would have the exact same issues.

Really, the offset issue isn't a big deal to me, as much as the lower resolution printing. What I am asking is...is this a known issue, or just a problem with my one printing? If it's an issue and not correctable I am OK with that, as the book is perfectly usable. However my nagging need for perfection would probably lead me to order another copy if the second would have a better print job.

Thanks!!

Could you take a photo of the offending page and email it to me? I'm reachable via  director at guildcompanion dot com

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme