Author Topic: Pacific Rim  (Read 1824 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Pacific Rim
« on: July 17, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »
Go see it! That is an order!

Seriously, it is great fun and the imagery/scale is awesome. (Not saying it is perfect, just worth seeing in the theater.) I will be going to see it again.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Pacific Rim
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:39:50 AM »
Thanks, I was wondering how it was.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »
I am going to see it again tomorrow - this time in IMAX 3D. I very rarely do that.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »
Interesting... from the commercials I was thinking would be a big special effects extravaganza with little to no in depth plot.  Not that that's always terrible, but I never come running out of those screaming "You've got to see that!"
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:09:24 PM »
Yeah, that. Up to now what I've been hearing is, "like watching your 4-year-old's bathtub battle between a transformer and a rubber dinosaur."
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:52:42 AM »
See, for that I'll just turn on one of the old (really old) Godzilla movies.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 07:37:03 AM »
I was hearing that the director did Pacific Rim basically as a tribute to those. Supposedly what he was trying for was what those movies could have been had the scriptwriters' budget and the effects been available.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing, either. I think it would be cool if you could go back and find out what kind of movie those guys wanted, as opposed to what it was possible for them to produce.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »
I think I'll still wait for it on Blue-Ray and watch it on my 60 inch widescreen theater system at home.

I just do not like going to the theaters anymore unless I go for the very first show of the day so as to avoid those nasty sticky floors and sometimes a wet seat.

If I go to see it on the IMAX theater here, I will go.  Nothing beats those screens.  But with these 20+ screen complexes, the theater screens just do not seem as big as when I went back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

However, thanks for the reviews.  I was wondering if it would be worth purchasing on BR (when comes available).

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »
I think I'll still wait for it on Blue-Ray and watch it on my 60 inch widescreen theater system at home.
Even since I picked up a really wide screen (I think it's 57") I find we rarely go to the theater anymore.  That "big screen" just isn't as impressive these days... and I don't have to pay $5 for a 12oz coke.
- Cory Magel

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
Fun movie, with very good special effects. Draw heavily upon japanimation mecha (Evangelion comes to mind). The monsters' fleas are a good idea. :)
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
See, for that I'll just turn on one of the old (really old) Godzilla movies.

Or the transformer station fight scene from Crank II.... :o
Darn that salt pork!