Author Topic: Area Attacks  (Read 912 times)

Offline Urbaman

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Big Urbaman
    • [Top-notch Сasual Dating  Verified Women]
Area Attacks
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:28:18 AM »
Hi,

Some doubts about Area Attacks (granade-like and elemental-ball-like):

- Should I always make a throwing attempt for every granade-like attack?
- The scattering for the above attempt failure should be used for every granade-like attack?
- The critical roll is the same for everybody in the area, and is a critical roll so no db is used for victims? (I at least would permit an acrobatic attempt or something similar to limit the critical)
- The attack roll for elemental balls is the same for all victims (+20 for the centered one), applying each victim's db to the same result?

Thank you very much,

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Area Attacks
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:12:47 AM »
Looks like we'll need to make some updates with the re-release to clarify this because the content in the book was pulled from the original text and really doesn't explain it well.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Here is the way I play it, which is in line with HARP SF.
First you need to determine if you are throwing at a specific foe or an area.

If you are targeting an individual, you roll your attack (Thrown Weapon Skill) and apply appropriate OB and DB modifiers for the attack on that individual (Note: Armor may or may not be applicable depending upon the type of attack.)

If you hit (exceed 100 or your roll), resolve using that location as the point of impact.  Consult the applicable weapon rules for randius of impact area and damage modifiers. Your target's body may serve as cover for others.  Damage for this individual is calculated using this result. Other damage within the radius of impact are treated as below.

If you miss then roll the d10 for direction and d10 for distance to figure out where it did hit.

If you are aiming for a general area then you do the same Thrown Weapon skill roll but there is no DB to consider so you have a better chance of hitting the area than you do a specific person.  Once again, 101 or more is a hit to where you intended to throw it.  Misses require the distance and direction rolls to determine where it did hit.

Once you know where it did hit (either by hitting the target foe, hitting the target location, or missing and you use the direction/distance rolls to resolve) then you determine who is in the blast radius and at risk of receiving damage from the attack.

Now that you know who is potentially hit, you roll an OE d100 and add any additonal damage bonuses that were identified for the weapon.  This is your attack roll that you determine damage from.

For each individual apply the appropriate DB, cover, dodge, sudden dodge, etc. actions using the same attack roll you just made.  Your end result (attack roll - DB and appropriate modifiers) determines the damage and is what you consult the chart for.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Urbaman

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Big Urbaman
    • [Top-notch Сasual Dating  Verified Women]
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »
Thank you very much,

I'll try to summarize it to see if I got it.

1) AoN Throwing skill (-25 for improvised weapons like acid flasks and the like, spell skill for elemental balls) to hit target (with his DB) or area
2) If no hit (<101), scatter.
3) Roll critical for all creatures in area: OE d100 + modifier
     - 0 for acid, 10/0/-10 for alchemist fire;
     - 20 for holy water;
     - spell skill (I don't think so, is it?) for elemental balls +20 for target individual + attack size mod) against each DB.
4) Flashstone doesn't have a crit, but a RR not to be stunned
5) Saltar's Bomb uses 2d10+20 heat and 1d10+20 slash instead of the OE d100

Yes, it could be clearer.

Where can I find the ruling in Harp SF?

Thanx again.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
If he has skill ranks in Thrown Projectiles then there is no -25 for these improvised weapons.
Spell Skills use the spell casting roll as the attack roll for elemental attacks.

#3 is just one OEd100 roll + Modifiers (for clarification)

HARP SF - Page 175 (Grenades and Grenade-like attacks)
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com