Author Topic: Arms Law 2003 - Alternate Critical I for the Rapier  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Arms Law 2003 - Alternate Critical I for the Rapier
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
Hi,

since we had a fight against skeletons during the last session, where my new character, wielding a Rapier, wanted to do Slash criticals instead of Puncture criticals (against which the skeletons are immune) I wondered whether this Alternate Critical I is listed correctly for this weapon. The penalty for a Slash critical is -30 while the penalty for a Crush critical is only -20. I had thought that doing Slash criticals using a Rapier would be just as easy as e.g. when using a Dagger, where this penalty is only -10.

Can someone (perhaps of the AL 2003 authors) enlighten me why the penalty is so high? Or is this just a typo?

Thanks

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Arms Law 2003 - Alternate Critical I for the Rapier
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 07:34:18 PM »
Daggers generally have sharpened blades, as most of them are used both for slashing/cutting and for stabbing. Rapiers are thrusting swords, and cuts are done with the point, the edges rarely being blades except within a few inches of the tip.

I suspect the number listed is the number intended.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »
You can always try for a crush attack basically by punching your target with the guard or pommel. Not as good as a weapon designed for crushing, but not a particularly difficult technique either.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:38:48 AM »
Ok, so perhaps the penalties are just right.

Thanks for your answers.