Author Topic: Where is the sage or "lore master" class  (Read 2448 times)

Offline tommysl

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Where is the sage or "lore master" class
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:41:55 AM »
I'm hoping someone can help me finding a lost class. I'm almost sure that I've read about a "sage" or a "lore master" in RMSS or RMFRP but I've searched all my books but I haven’t been able to find it. So I wonder, does it really exist ? If so, where ? IF not, what class would a wise scholar be?

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Where is the sage or "lore master" class
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:30:37 AM »
The Sage is in RMFRP's School of Hard Knocks.

Offline tommysl

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 05:52:39 AM »
Found it, thank you very much!

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »
I also seem to recall a scholar or something similar in RoCo III.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:01:52 AM »
You had both: the Scholar, a non-spellcaster, and the Sage (or Lore Master), a pure Mentalist spellcaster, in the RoCo II.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:31:50 AM »
There was also a Loremaster profession in one of the Shadow World products.  Can't remember which since it was in a 1st edition product which I no longer possess.  I remember that Shadow World Loremaster was better and cooler than the later Sage and other generic Loremaster that came out for the RM systems.  However, the SW Loremaster was specifically made for Shadow World, but could easily be integrated into other settings.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:48:21 AM »
The Loremaster, I think, goes back to the early RM1 stuff.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:28:46 AM »
If all alse fails, the Mage prof has excellent lore skill cost and could be a defacto loremaster/sage.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »
There was also a Loremaster profession in one of the Shadow World products.
IIRC, though, the SW LoreMaster wasn't a "true" profession, as  the LoreMasters was more of an organization one would join (similar to the Navigators), and in the process "merge" one's original profession with the LoreMaster profession, including "exchanging" some base lists of one's original profession with the LoreMaster's ones.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.