Author Topic: Just dumb if im reading correct  (Read 4033 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Just dumb if im reading correct
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »
(Back in my proper time zone and recovered from the joys of transatlantic flying.)

In an ideal world, Rolemaster would have the tens of thousands of active customers that D&D and Pathfinder have. Only a fraction of their customers will be involved in the playtesting of their products, so they can easily afford to give away playtest versions for free.

It's not an ideal world and it has not been for more than a decade. It's a matter of public record (from the bankruptcy proceedings when Old ICE died) that RMSS/FRP supplements were selling between two and three thousand copies per title. The days when Rolemaster supplements (looking at Rolemaster Companion I here) sold 40,000 copies are even further back.

So we cannot just go giving away the core rules for Rolemaster.

But what we do want to do is to get the Rolemaster fan base involved in the creative process and have hundreds of eyes looking at the public playtest copies, playing with them, discussing them on the forums, providing feedback, and making them even better. I've already read the new Arms Law and Character Law manuscripts and they are already very good indeed. The current Gamma readers are providing feedback that is making them better yet, and I know the fan base can propel them to a level of excellence that will be unsurpassed. It is an opportunity for the fan base to make their mark on the core Rolemaster rules, a set of rules that we will be supporting for years to come, so it is in the interest of the fan base to get involved in the process.

So yes, we are charging for the public playtest pdf copies, but these will be offered via OneBookShelf, so once all the text changes made, the artwork added, the layout done, etc, you simply redownload the pdf and get the final version. You only pay once for the pdf.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
Just curious - the final version I'd like is a dead tree copy. If I buy the beta pdfs, will that payment be redeemable as part payment against the (no doubt more expensive) PoD versions as well?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
I see no problem with buying the beta and hope that it will be heralded loud and clear when it is ready, so that I can be sure to get one fast.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
Just curious - the final version I'd like is a dead tree copy. If I buy the beta pdfs, will that payment be redeemable as part payment against the (no doubt more expensive) PoD versions as well?

Note: Please remember that The Guild Companion Publishing is separate from the ICE Forum team and I know nothing except what I have read on the ICE forums.

From what I read above I would say no. But that may change and they may have many options for the Beta PDF. Such as Beta PDF + Color Copy, Beta PDF + B&W copy, etc.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »

It is quite possible that we will provide additional coupons for people that we deem have gone over and above the call of duty in the public playtest. We will see how that goes.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »
It is quite possible that we will provide additional coupons for people that we deem have gone over and above the call of duty in the public playtest. We will see how that goes.
Well if that's not a challenge to get my playtesting hat on, I don't know what is!

I've been a computer game beta tester for various MMORPGs since 1997 (Meridian 59), a professional copy-editor/ proof checker/ typesetter in my day (94 to 99 or so), and of course a roleplayer of 33 years... I shall need to work to bring that all into focus :)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »
Unfortunately, I forgot who the user of this forum was, who had or has the greatest signature I have ever seen: "don't throw stones - offer alternatives."

Aww, shucks.  :-[ Thanks.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com