Author Topic: Your choice of Book Covers  (Read 7730 times)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Your choice of Book Covers
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:10:19 AM »
Hi all, I'm looking for people's feelings on RPG book cover styling - whether you prefer faux leather/marble (to look like an ancient tome) with the cover illustration inset into it or a magazine style with the illustration filling the page or a combination of both in a similar way the RM2 books had (but this 'panel' could be on the left, right, top or bottom and could be colour/gradient/leather/marble/stone/other etc) or whether you just don't care either way.

Is there a 5th option you'd prefer? Tell me all about it. :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Your choice of Book Covers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »
  I have not voted yet but I am trying to think of something that will stand out more from the others on he shelf.

For the binding make sure it is easy to read not mater what you do as sometimes it can drive you crazy trying to find a book that has used some cool(strange) font that is very hard to pick out from the art.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »
I did option 5 because, for me any paticular single type of cover doesn't matter, just so long as it is attractive: colors and imagery merge / contrast in an appealing way. ART. Pretty. Cool. Etc.

For example: I liked the cover of the HARP SCIFI Beta book, as well as the one it was finally published with.

The cover has to convey a feeling, an idea, something that pertains to what is inside. High fantasy with grit? Show it. hat's that statement? Don't tell me, show me.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:48:38 AM by RandalThor »
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:25:35 AM »
Although a book cover can give a decent idea of what is contained within, to me, it is the material that is within that makes the book.  A book can have the most brilliant design ever seen, yet, if the material is crap, the book is worth just that.

For me, it is the material inside that makes the book worth every penny spent on it.  Yes, like everyone else, I love a beautiful cover.

I think the best design would be a Faux Leather with what appears to be a plaque of engraved wood inset into the cover.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
I like the image myself - a good image stands out more. The faux tome thing was done by D&D 3 and 3.5 and looks poor.

Given also that a lot of book stores these days stock these edge on, the spine needs to be such that it stands out (there are *lots* of black/gark grey spines out there), and thick enough that you can actually read what the thing is. It goes without saying that it should be a book that is square-bound and not one that is staple-bound. That just screams "CHEAP!!"

Don't just think of the cover - the spine is equally important for catching the eye.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
Warhammer seems to do pretty well with the tome look.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »
What I care about is price and durability.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline megaper

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
I vote for a big picture on the cover, not in a frame, no side panel, only a cool picture on the cover. And if you ask me, I would go for picturing the same group of characters in all the books but in different situations like in RM2 books: fight scene for Arms Law, Using spells for Spell law and so on... but different characters and new style.

And to stand out of all other millions of fantasy rpg covers, avoid overused backgrounds like, dungeons, generic forests... I would suggest:
- Arms Law:  Fighting scene in Snow scenary (next to a frozen lake perhaps?)
- Character Law: Huge landscape with our group of heroes in the lower right corner of the picture in small size staring to the horizon and very small because of the distance, just like silouettes.
- Spell Law:   A spell user using some utility spell to save life after being thrown from a flaying ship so save his life
- Creatures & Treasures: Creatures! and... Treasures! ;)

Well, I am not to original, but I had to try :P

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
I would go for picturing the same group of characters in all the books but in different situations like in RM2 books

I'm already doing that for the Shadow World books - inside and out. I too have Angus McBride to thank for that bit of inspiration too.  ;D

For the binding make sure it is easy to read as sometimes it can drive you crazy trying to find a book that has used some cool(strange) font that is very hard to pick out from the art.

I agree!

Given also that a lot of book stores these days stock these edge on, the spine needs to be such that it stands out

Ahh - now that's something to keep in mind - thanks!!

The faux tome thing was done by D&D 3 and 3.5 and looks poor.

That's exactly what I think too but we seem to be in the minority for now.   :-\

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:09:58 PM »
I voted magazine style since most of my favourite colors have been this style with a large image on the front cover. But I have also have books that I really like the cover on without any image at all where they instead focus on the actual cover itself and trying to create that in an evocative way.

But I have always loved the style of the RMSS covers. Especially when combined with Angus McBrides pictures. But I guess it all depends.

I also liked the covers of Shadow World Players Guide and HARP Sci-Fi too. But I guess it all comes down to the art itself and on how it is combined with it surroundings.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »
voted really dont mind, but allow me to inform you about what i strongly dislike; any form of chainmail bikinis.

a loin cloth warrior with a guantlet is acceptable because the guantlet allows the glade to be grasped to stab efficiently with, but armor that doesn't protect is silly.  might as well leave em in a loin cloth.

I have seen so many down right stupid pictures of warriors, usually female with lots of cleavage and leg, please no more.

now, a sexy woman doesnt bother me, its the chainmail bikini look i dislike.  i know you readers know what i mean.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 01:54:34 AM »
Warhammer seems to do pretty well with the tome look.
It does, and so does D&D 3 / 3.5 but I don't want RM to just be a carbon copy of the big boys.

Offline jaranka

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 02:24:41 AM »
voted really dont mind, but allow me to inform you about what i strongly dislike; any form of chainmail bikinis.
D&D is apparently going through some art direction changes, and this topic was brought up on a few blogs.  After reading them, I began to take closer notice of the artwork in all the RM books, and to its credit I have not yet found a single chain mail bikini.  In fact, very rarely is the female form presented in a lewd, or inordinately appealing fashion.  And when it is, it's very mild, and remains in context.

I also happen to believe that chain mail bikinis created a lot more role players than would have been created had they not been so prevalent in RPG's. But I doubt it has the same effect these days, with the internet and the decades of tv desensitization.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 04:44:12 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I like pretty women showing off skin as much as the next dirty old man...

...but that said, someone in a chainmail bikini is inappropriate for a game that strives for realism.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline megaper

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 06:31:21 AM »
I agree with you all guys, if there is a picture in the cover realism should be the main feature, that comes without saying since we all here love Rolemaster :)

A naked woman (or man) would be far more realistic than a chain mail bikini playboy fighter girl. But speaking about being realistic... I´m not hoping to see that in the cover art ;) (But if remotely possible I vote for that too, it would transmit sheer brutality in combat :D )

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »
I absolutely HATE chain mail bikinis and stupid female armour that exposes all the vital points!!   >:(

Another thing I hate is high-heels!!! They're in no-way practical in modern society let alone in a tactical environment. How big of a negative modifier is needed on all MM's?!! :O

...and I hate Halflings too - but that's a different point!  :P

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 07:23:23 AM »
Besides, having been in the SCA for a couple of decades, I can tell you from personal experience that a delicious looking woman still looks every bit as delicious in real armor. I won't claim to have an opinion on the subject, but the ladies tell me that the same goes for delicious looking men in armor as well.

In short, what you gain in "sexyness" is nowhere near what you lose in believability.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 08:05:15 AM »
Another thing I hate is high-heels!!! They're in no-way practical in modern society let alone in a tactical environment. How big of a negative modifier is needed on all MM's?!! :O

That is something I have not seen or noticed is females in high heels and chain mail bikinis.

;D  Yes and halflings and gnomes makes great snacks for the various creatures in the game world.  ;D
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »
...and I hate Halflings too

+1...have I told you what I think of elves?

I'll save the regulars my diatribe.  Respect.   ;D
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »
I love halflings.

Lightly grilled, lil sage, lil garlic... oh yeah.

Tastes great, less filling!  ;)