Author Topic: Gas Alteration list  (Read 1404 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Gas Alteration list
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:43:33 AM »
I guess I never realized I may have been playing this wrong all these years.  The Gas Alteration list has a spell "Vacuum" at 4th level that delivers an "A" Impact critical.  I have always rolled a resistance roll, but my player last night asked why and I said hmmmmm because we always have?  Am I right or is it just a free A impact critical?

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Gas Alteration list
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »
Vacuum A is a Force type spell, thus allowing the enemies to avoid its effects if they succeed a RR.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
It's a mechanical issue, if it were an E type, you would get no RR, but then make attacks on something like the Vacuum attack table.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 10:31:35 PM »
You don't need an attack table for Elemental damage, but the spells that do an unresistable crit are pretty much all avoidable. They take time to form up, so if you get out of the area in the first round, you're fine. But there's no Wall of Fire attack table. A good number of E spells do a crit, really. It isn't a consistency issue; it is a balance issue.

Although, Craig O'Brien went back and forth on this. I still have the mailing list message where he stated that it was a Force spell, so if it had a target capable of resisting (as it could, if targeting an air elemental), there would be an RR, but since it is just targeting normal air most of the time, there isn't.

Mind you, Craig reversed himself on that not too much later, but it isn't a bad argument.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.