Author Topic: FGCon: Free try-out of Rolemaster & Spacemaster Fantasy Grounds VTT  (Read 3623 times)

Offline lachancery

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A virtual gaming conference using the Fantasy Grounds VTT (Virtual Table Top) will be held during the week-end of Friday, July 20th to Sunday, July 22nd. No purchase of any sort is required to participate.
  • A tutorial for GMs and players on how to use Fantasy Grounds with the Rolemaster Classic ruleset will be held on Friday at 9pm (North American Eastern Time)(Saturday 2am London Time).
  • A 4 hour scenario using the Rolemaster Classic ruleset will be run on Sunday at 10am (North American Eastern Time)(3pm London Time).
  • A 4 hour scenario using a Spacemaster 2 mod to the RMC ruleset will be run on Saturday at 4pm (North American Pacific Time)(Midnight London Time).

A calendar of all the games at the FGCon (incl. the 7+ other game systems) can be viewed at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuS4bmZlL0uUdEhLRnQyUFp3cGtkU3g5Ti1jWHZMOGc#gid=0

The details for each game, and signing up links, can be viewed at: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/

And finally, the forum where discussion about the virtual convention are being held is at: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

The automation in the Rolemaster Classic ruleset can cut the length of combat in half and takes care of most admin duties; some groups are using Fantasy Grounds even for their face to face games! If you have ever been curious about VTT or Fantasy Grounds, there's never been a better time to try it out.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:57:30 PM by lachancery »

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: FGCon: Free try-out of Rolemaster & Spacemaster Fantasy Grounds VTT
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 03:01:43 AM »
 ;D This is great. I'll definitely be there!!!  ;D

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 03:52:27 PM »
I've signed up for the tutorial and the RM campaign. I've checked Teamspeak settings and I'm currently running the Fantasy Grounds installer.

I'm plagued with migraines and cluster headaches so whether I'll be able to be available at either is debatable. Where would be the easiest way to contact you if it's clear I'll not be making it?

I'm feeling ok-ish at the moment so we could be good - but it will be 1am my time when the tutorial is started though...  :-\

I'm trying to get my brother-in-law to join in too so there may be a last minute addition.  :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline lachancery

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »
It was nice to "meet" you this week-end during the tutorial and the adventure.  I hope it has given you a taste of how much fun (and easier) playing Rolemaster with Fantasy Grounds can be!

I have received three more requests today for the adventure; I will most likely hold it again to introduce more people to Fantasy Grounds! Anyone interested in trying it out should contact me for planning the next demo.

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:48:15 AM »
The session was great fun. Look forward to doing one again sometime

Thank you

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:27:12 AM »
It was, indeed great fun!! :D

Using Fantasy Grounds is a real the saver for players and GMs - it's even ideal for face to face RPG sessions so anyone looking to speed up the mundane stuff, need to give it a try as well.

I'll definitely be getting it once the new Rolemaster rules are released on it.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:53:40 AM »
Damn.  I'd been trying to talk a couple of people into doing something like this for a while now so I could see it in action as it is something that I've seriously considered purchasing off and on for a year or more now (but just can't bring myself to do it without actually trying it out first).  And it was announced and occurred while I was on vacation and I missed it.  Are there any plans for another similar session in the future? 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 07:48:13 PM »
Are there any plans for another similar session in the future?

I do not know the answer to that but if you post in the RMC board at Fantasy Grounds, you may be able to sit in on a session. http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

But bear in mind that you'll need to join a GM who has the Ultimate version of Fantasy Grounds if you want to connect using the demo/unlicensed version. (Although there was talk of the Full version allowing one person at a time using the demo version and I can't remember if it's for a future upgrade or one that's already come out - but a GM in the forums would be able to tell you that).

When you get to the point of buying (which I'm sure you will as it's also ideal to to use as a GM at an actual table top because it automates a lot of things... and combat is so much faster), there are 3 options for a Fantasy Grounds license (and their limitations):
Unlicensed - FREE - can ONLY join games hosted with the Ultimate License
Lite - $23.95 - can join any games (hosted with a Full or Ultimate license)
Full - $39.95 - can join any games AND host games but ONLY for people who have the Ultimate, Full or Lite License (not the FREE one).
Ultimate - $149.95 - can join any game AND host games for people using the Ultimate, Full, Lite AND the Free unregistered version.

The prices look quite high if you decided to get them for all your group so they can play with you on their computers at home but they have a great bundle discounts that get bigger and bigger the more licenses you get at one go. You actually have to add quite a few license (one Full and many Lites) before the Ultimate License starts becoming cost effecting.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »
Yup, have been registered on the FG web site/forums since last year and am already very familiar with the pricing.  Have done extensive reading up on the software and how it works as well.  Have talked to a couple of different people who have the Ultimate license who said that they might be able to run a session, but haven't been able to get others who may be interested in trying it out to commit to a day and time for such a session, thus the reason I was hoping that another session might be scheduled at some point in the future.  Likewise haven't been able to sit in on anyone elses game sessions to see it in action either.

If I do purchase, there is a decent chance that I'd opt for the ultimate license as well, so as to accomodate others who want to try it out with the trial version before spending any money.  But ultimately I'd like to see it in action first and haven't been able to so far.  Thanks for the reply though.
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Are you looking for a one shot session or are you looking for an overview from the GMs perspective? 

If you want to be able to see how it works from the GMs perspective, I can set that up fairly quickly. 

If you want to try a one shot session it would take a bit more setup and coordination but I should be able to get something together.

What time zone are you in?

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »
That would be fantastic if you are willing and able to.  An overview from a GM's perspective would probably suffice, as at least I'd be able to see the system and how it works as well as be able to ask questions. As I'd likely be using it as a GM more often than as a player.

I'm in the Eastern U.S. Timezone (normally GMT -5, but currently GMT -6 due to daylight savings time change this time of year here).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:45:53 PM by Wolfhound »

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:42:30 PM »
I will have you connect as a player also since I have an ultimate license.  I will share my screen with you so you can see it from a GM's perspective while being able to control it from a player perspective so you can see the flow as actions are completed. 

I am PDT so it is only a 3 hour difference.  I will send you a PM to work out the details.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 12:47:48 AM »
I will have you connect as a player also since I have an ultimate license.  I will share my screen with you so you can see it from a GM's perspective while being able to control it from a player perspective so you can see the flow as actions are completed. 

Oh wow - that would be excellent if you'd be able to accommodate more people with a shared screen seeing things from a GM point of view. :)

...alternatively, if you're able to record the session, that would be amazing! :O

(Although I'm a full license holder with the RMC ruleset already, a guided walkthrough with Dakadin is worth it's weight on gold!)

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 01:15:18 AM »
The screen sharing program allows up to 3 connections so if we can work out the time you can join us also craggles or I could do a separate one for you.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 04:36:57 AM »
The screen sharing program allows up to 3 connections so if we can work out the time you can join us also craggles or I could do a separate one for you.

That would be amazing - I'm GMT +1 and I'm pretty sure a 'third' person would pop up to join as well (if not several more).

But there's no need to do an extra walkthrough just for me alone so I will try and fit in with your schedule or not at all.

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 09:47:41 AM »
(Although I'm a full license holder with the RMC ruleset already, a guided walkthrough with Dakadin is worth it's weight on gold!)

I agree with the above statement. Since I joined up first, Dakadin has been nothing but helpful.

There are also many other helpful and friendly people on the FG forum who will gladly help you if you need advice.

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »

That would be amazing - I'm GMT +1 and I'm pretty sure a 'third' person would pop up to join as well (if not several more).

But there's no need to do an extra walkthrough just for me alone so I will try and fit in with your schedule or not at all.

I think we can work something out on the weekend.  I will send you a PM and see if we can all meet at a couple times that I think might work.

Please let me know if anyone else is interested.