Author Topic: Regaining Hit Points  (Read 4248 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Regaining Hit Points
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »
I think that because Body Development and a character's constitution grant them greater hits, they shouldn't necessarily also grant them faster healing.

Maybe it should be more like an injury takes a set amount of time to heal, say 10 days, and then the character's racial healing modifier is applied, say .9, for an end result of this injury healing in 9 days. Divide the character's Hits by 9 (rounding however you wish) and each day they get that much back. Of course, things like extraneous activity and the like can push this back, so if the same character was still traveling and that means his healing time is doubled (to 18 days), then you would just divide by 18 to see how many Hits per day they healed.

With this, yes a 1st level character and a 20th level character, with the same injury and healing rate will heal at the same time. The difference is that the 20th level character likely has access to more healing options to heal quicker, if they so choose to do so.

The question is what does "same injury" mean? I think there is a good argument that "90% of your hits" is more equivalent for two different characters than "90 hits".

As for hits depending on age and health rather than experience, that might be realistic but it's not heroic. And in the end remember that hits are rarely what kill you in Rolemaster, and criticals treat everyone the same.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 10:17:47 AM »
The question is what does "same injury" mean? I think there is a good argument that "90% of your hits" is more equivalent for two different characters than "90 hits".
Well, in this instance "same injury" meant exactly that for sake of the example. Plus, in RM, two characters can actually get the exact same injury.

As for hits depending on age and health rather than experience, that might be realistic but it's not heroic.
I think it is more heroic, actually. The 1st level character with 15 Hits isn't heroic, they are gritty-vulnerable. With 120, they are a bit more heroic. But, anyway, wasn't Rolemasters slogan for a long time, "Get Real, Get Rolemaster"?

And in the end remember that hits are rarely what kill you in Rolemaster, and criticals treat everyone the same.
  I said the same thing on another thread, which is why I think it is totally OK for characters to start out with lots of Hits; it gives them a bit of a buffer, but as it is the Criticals that will kill you they don't mean ALL that much, and the increasing of Hits with level is just an artifact brought over from D&D, an anacronism that needs to go away. (IMO.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »
"The trick is..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYNElueJj_w

The wife gave me a nudge in the theater recently; (drove 45 min to see Prometheus). She says I've been saying this line for years and she never knew what it was from.  ;)

Little burns were the most painful things in the world as a kid. Working in kitchens over 20 years now, I don't even notice most of 'em anymore.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 08:02:28 AM »
Little burns were the most painful things in the world as a kid. Working in kitchens over 20 years now, I don't even notice most of 'em anymore.
I think that is better explained as an increase in a person's self discipline skills to lessen/negate injury modifiers, like stunned maneuvering, than an increase in Hits. Yes, I get that Hits/Hit Points are easy, but that does not make them the better way to go, imo.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.