Author Topic: What do you like most about Rolemaster!  (Read 3719 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What do you like most about Rolemaster!
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 06:03:10 AM »
Even though it says that the poll doesn't close until the 9th (it is only the 5th), I can only see the results. Oh well, I would say Character Development because you can really individualize your PC.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 09:08:33 AM »
I really like Yamma's idea to remove the attack tables and have all damage determined by a single critical roll. It would take some time to merge the a-e critical charts though.

That's basically how the HARP combat tables work. One roll, any net result over 0 is a hit and a single table combines hits and critical damage.

It makes attack results more consistent. If you have super high skill relative to your foes' DB, you will be killing them almost every hit. Whereas in RM you would be getting a critical on every hit but it wouldn't necessarily be fatal. It's also less likely, I think to get lucky and kill with a middling attack (one that would yield, say, a B critical in RM).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »
Note that I want to keep the crit tables.  Its Arms law i want to change with a list of weapons that have a first crit target number and a set number indicating next crit.

So a dagger could be 95(20).  At attack result of 95 or higher, an A crit results, at 115, a B crit results, at 135, a C crit results, etc.

Weapons first crit result would assume no armor, and armor would mod the first crit result for the various critical types.

By moving all damage to the crit tables, the attack tables would be eliminated, which I believe would be a big positive in improving the image and sales of RMU.  Maybe...it's a moot point though.  Maybe for RMU2 in 6-8 yrs.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »
Note that I want to keep the crit tables.  Its Arms law i want to change with a list of weapons that have a first crit target number and a set number indicating next crit.

So a dagger could be 95(20).  At attack result of 95 or higher, an A crit results, at 115, a B crit results, at 135, a C crit results, etc.

Weapons first crit result would assume no armor, and armor would mod the first crit result for the various critical types.

By moving all damage to the crit tables, the attack tables would be eliminated, which I believe would be a big positive in improving the image and sales of RMU.  Maybe...it's a moot point though.  Maybe for RMU2 in 6-8 yrs.

Interesting. If you were going to do that, you could make the first crit target number the same for all weapons, and deal with the differences simply by having a skill bonus. E.g. a broadsword is a +15 slashing weapon and a dagger is +0.

Downside of that is that a dagger and a broadsword would have the same damage, which seems a little odd. Unless you had more critical tables so you could have e.g. "small slashing" and "large slashing" tables. If you did that, instead of doing intervals you could make them the same as the static maneuver tables (partial success = B, near success = C, success = D, absolute success = E, absolute failure = make a fumble check, reserve A criticals for the result of critical reduction by armor). The intervals seem a bit unwieldy to me.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »
There are many forms the target nymber approach could take.  For example, the critical increment number could be used to determine when a blow that only delivers hits results from attack roll.  A 95(20) would be a weak knife, and hits only would occur on a 75-94.  Weapons could be rated for hits, in this case say 3, plus St mod.  Each crit stage would increase hits x1.  So...

75-94= 3hits+St mod
95-115= 6hits +St mod + A crit
etc.

Armor could have a stat that negates some hits.  Whatever.  Game designer and play testing would be needed, but the variability of weapons would be tremendous, and I am far more concerned with playability and fun that realism.  Also, A simple core series of mechanics with tons of options that CAN be adopted if desired I believe would be the best approach.  Simple as the core, add complexity in the optional section of Arms law, which would be MOST of such an arms law, as the base mechanics will take up very little space.

TMWTD has a very neat mechanic to figure critical type.  Based on the AT attacked, the last number of the attack roll determines what type of crit is scored.  So an attack roll against SL with a broad sword will be slash on 1-7, puncture on 8-9 and crush on 0.  Likewise, an attack against plate would be puncture on 1-6 and krush on 7-0.  This info is easily listed with weapon description or armor description.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
That's basically how the HARP combat tables work. One roll, any net result over 0 is a hit and a single table combines hits and critical damage.
Which is what I prefer - I want to limit the number of rolls for a single task, to help make things go a bit smoother and quicker. It is one of the reasons I have gotten away from games where the basic method is an opposed roll, just gets to be too bothersome.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »
There are many forms the target nymber approach could take.  For example, the critical increment number could be used to determine when a blow that only delivers hits results from attack roll.  A 95(20) would be a weak knife, and hits only would occur on a 75-94.  Weapons could be rated for hits, in this case say 3, plus St mod.  Each crit stage would increase hits x1. 

The RM Companion 2 had a system not unlike this. I used it when I wrote combat software so I wouldn't have to enter the tables. I can't imagine doing it by hand, though.

Offline lordmalachdrim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »
Went with all of the above. The only thing I don't like in RM is the action system where things take a % of your activity and you have to calculate the penalty for not taking full % if it's something that can use a range of %s

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
My favourite thing isn't actually up there :) I like the flexibilty that forces players into thinking about what they can do - all things are possible, by all characters... and all things have downsides....