Author Topic: What do you like most about Rolemaster!  (Read 3722 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What do you like most about Rolemaster!
« on: June 29, 2012, 02:06:40 PM »
Just posting a poll to get some ideas!

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What do you like most about Rolemaster!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
All of the above. Weaker on character development and some of the bloat that took place with secondary skills, but otherwise solid. You need an "All of the Above" option.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
All of the above. Weaker on character development and some of the bloat that took place with secondary skills, but otherwise solid. You need an "All of the Above" option.

What he said!

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »
Some of those areas may be weaker or stronger than other games, but given what it was originally intended to be (a system of "plug-in" rules for other game systems/settings), and it's worth remembering that in many ways RM always remained true to that core idea, RM does one of the best jobs out there bringing all that stuff together. A full overhaul, with a unifying theme or idea, has strong potential to make RM even better.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
I reset the poll and added all the above.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
I voted skills because they need no improvement.  Varied cost and reduced progression is perfect and balanced nicely.

The attack tables need to go while keeping the principles of higher target numbers delivering increased criticals,  ALL damage should be delivered via crits, including hits.

Most agree the armor system needs a rewrite.  I see a new rule set with scores of AT's, all with stats to mod target numbers vesus slash/puncture/crush/elemental, numbers easily recorded on character sheets for quick reference and completely eliminating table reference in play.

Neh...doesn't matter really, at least for me purchasing the new rule set when released.  If it takes more than one book to still play the game (a bad IMO), I wont purchase more than Character Law if the new rule set is disapointing.  I'm hoping for a revision more on the line of 2e Dnd to 3e Dnd, but I am willing to wait and see.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline ninja

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Dust, Death and a D100
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
I voted for Skills since I had to choose one, but I would like to add that the best thing about RM is its adaptability. The way you can streamline it to fit any world or genre is quite extraordinary.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »
I voted for Skills since I had to choose one, but I would like to add that the best thing about RM is its adaptability. The way you can streamline it to fit any world or genre is quite extraordinary.

Heck yes.  Or...+1 in forum speak.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline ninja

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Dust, Death and a D100
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »
 :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
Boy that was a tough choice, and I had to think about it for a time.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »

THAT has always been my favorite point about RM. Flexibility or adaptability.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 07:49:08 AM »
As said, I went with "all of the above" cos I really can't imagine RM without all of those parts.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 02:43:47 PM »
The best part of RM, to me, is the depth of the system.

Player characters are unique.

They are not cookie cutter as many systems end up being.  I've played three Dabblers that looked NOTHING alike.  One was combat oriented, one was stealth oriented, and one was spell oriented.  Even RM users were hard pressed to figure out all three were Dabblers if they saw them played.

Most of what makes those professions unique are the skill and spell system.  Although the skill cost differentiation breaks down at higher levels the spell selection plays an enormous part in uniqueness.  There are two things about RM that if they did not exist I would never have played it.  Base spell lists (profession specific ones) are one of those things.

Critical hit charts.

D&D's original damage system bored you to death after a while.  Casting a Fireball (especially on something flammable) simply causing 6d6 (or whatever) damage was a real snoozer.  We created our own critical hit chart before ever seeing RM (it was just 20 results at first, but we expanded it over the years).  This is the second aspect of RM that if it did not exist we would never have started playing it.

The actual attack tables could be modified and, depending on how well it was done, I'd be ok with that.  But critical hits need to stay.  No critical hit charts would be like having pizza without cheese on it.  Why even bother?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 05:04:27 AM »
The critical (and fumble) tables, over everything else. It's mainly what drew me to rolemaster from ad&d. There are other things, like the huge amount of options, overcasting, each SU profession having its own spell list,... but Crits remain the main thing.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 03:34:10 AM »
It was the critical tables that sold me on Rolemaster. And the ability to make any type of character you dam well wanted and use whatever dam well weapon you wanted.

I hate RM's spell system!

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »
I wanted to answer but you didn't give an option for RM2 vs. RMFRP. I like all of the above in RM2 (excluding the companions) but didn't like RMSS/RMFRP character development and skill system

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »
From SpaceMaster, but this is what sold me all those years ago:
Shrapnel/Automatic E critical, 100: "Foe bursts into a bloody pulp.  Use a spatula".

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »
I wanted to answer but you didn't give an option for RM2 vs. RMFRP. I like all of the above in RM2 (excluding the companions) but didn't like RMSS/RMFRP character development and skill system

+100 for this one.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
I love so much about this game!  I can remember finding it for the first time in the late 80's when I was stationed in Huntsville Alabama at Redstone Arsenal (now closed I believe).  I devoured this information over a 7 day R&R and when my friends grouped up for a weekend of gaming they were blown away.

We came from AD&D and they just weren't ready for the body parts getting hacked off, the critical failures and the High Men!!  Our first session last 20+ hours (thank you white crosses, no no, I mean yes, no I really mean no).  So many characters went down and survived and laughed.  The pure joy we had was only replaced when the game started again 8 hours later with more masterful rolls on the maneuver charts and splats from the critical charts.

I wax poetically but the game has stayed with me and the spirit of never knowing what could happen is what keeps me always playing this wonderful game we fight over called ROLEMASTER!!!!

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
I really like Yamma's idea to remove the attack tables and have all damage determined by a single critical roll. It would take some time to merge the a-e critical charts though.
The armor system really needs work. 20 ATs is not enough. There should be better rules about what armor is what AT. Banded mail? Scale mail?
I like the spell system though I think creation of expendable magic items like potions and scrolls should be by using skills (alchemy and read/write runes). 
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris