Author Topic: Poison how long on weapon?  (Read 1846 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Poison how long on weapon?
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:24:46 AM »
How long do you allow poison to be on a weapon and affect the target?

I was thinking on having some rules based on the type of poison, ie paste, oil, liquid, powder and I but there is some type I do not know about (without getting into compound states like gels, aerosols, etc).
 The base rule would be a poison based on a level vs save vs persons con (Con stat/10 +1 or -1 per racial stat bonus+ other bonus) (But I might up that base to be 10 or Con stat/5 + etc.)
 Then the substance would have a base attack level that would either decrease or receive penalties for time in use or out in the air etc.

Do people have numbers that they use in their game?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Poison how long on weapon?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:54:45 AM »
We don't have a fixed amount of time for that, but usually weapons have to be poisoned for a specific encounter/purpose. For example, if a PC knows he's gonna fight someone soon and poison his weapon, we assume that he's able to keep the weapon poisoned until the combat begins, unless a day (or more) passes or he's interrupted in his task by another combat (in this case his weapon would be poisoned when the unexpected combat begins, though).
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 03:09:09 AM »
In addition to loss of potency issues, one generally doesn't want to apply poisons to a weapon before they are needed in order to minimize the risk of accidentally scratching oneself or an ally. If someone is running around with a poisoned dagger, the GM should be calling for RRs (or at least rolling for a chance of needing to make an RR) on any failed moving maneuver and might call for the poisoner (or someone moving alongside him) to make a maneuver when it would otherwise be unnecessary.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline jaranka

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 03:15:16 AM »
We use the times stated in RMFRP and GM Law:

"Paste — Raw matter is made into a paste which may be put in food or drink or be applied to tools or weapons and stays effective up to 1 week, or until an object or person is struck; if a poison paste is used and a critical is obtained, the foe must make a RR or he receives the effect; if the attack result is merely hits (no crit), the poison is gone.

Liquid — As paste, except it remains effective for 1 hour.

Powder - May not be applied to weapons; only effective in food or drink."

A powdered drink can probably be effective for weeks or months or years if it is kept properly.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »
We use the times stated in RMFRP and GM Law:

"Paste — Raw matter is made into a paste which may be put in food or drink or be applied to tools or weapons and stays effective up to 1 week, or until an object or person is struck; if a poison paste is used and a critical is obtained, the foe must make a RR or he receives the effect; if the attack result is merely hits (no crit), the poison is gone.

Liquid — As paste, except it remains effective for 1 hour.

Powder - May not be applied to weapons; only effective in food or drink."

A powdered drink can probably be effective for weeks or months or years if it is kept properly.

Boy I have to go back and look through all the books before I post.  ;D
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
You could also argue for variance according to the kind of surfaces involved. If you poison someone's wine in a steel mug, boiling the mug will probably detoxify it. If it's a leather mug, it's toxic forever. The time limitation becomes how long before the leather mug would be destroyed anyway in the normal course of events.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »
I use a simplified poison rule for weapons. Most of the time, a paste lasts until it crits 2x.

I used to be in the camp of "no poison unless a crit", but there are critters in real life that have very toxic poison/venom delivered from a seemingly insignificant wound. So now I think even 1 hit can be enough for a RR; vs some poisons.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline jaranka

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
I used to be in the camp of "no poison unless a crit", but there are critters in real life that have very toxic poison/venom delivered from a seemingly insignificant wound. So now I think even 1 hit can be enough for a RR; vs some poisons.

An insignificant wound can still be a crit, just perhaps a low-rolled one, or a Tiny one.  Tiny crits arent very lethal outright, but certainly enough to administer poison.  I think the intent is that the attack must break the skin.  Heavily armored people enjoy relatively few crits, and it makes sense that they would be tougher to poison.  You can't bang them on their armor and give them a bruise and expect them to be poisoned.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »
Good point.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:28:04 AM »
Unless it is a nerve poison, I almost always demand a bleeding result to deliver poison.  Some crits negate the need to check, such as shot through heart, etc.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.