Author Topic: henchmen, hirelings, followers...  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
henchmen, hirelings, followers...
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »
How do you handle them?
Do you let the players control them or do you treat the as normal NPCs? Do you give them a "morale" stat?
Do you usually fully stat them out, use pregenerated characters (like those in Character Law) or what?
Do you you use them as a replacement for dead PCs?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: henchmen, hirelings, followers...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »
I treat them as normal NPCs, often with motives of their own for accepting service with the PCs. I don't use any sort of morale stat for them....I tend to develop things like that when I do their background.

Any significant henchmen I fully stat, otherwise I use one of the templates I've developed for my campaign (skilled mercenary, mall ninja, would-be warrior, and so on) with adjustments as needed.

On a couple of occasions I've allowed players to take over a hireling if their character was killed (if that's what you mean). In most cases the hireling had been with the party for a number of adventures and was already something of a de facto party member. Sometimes I'll let them run the hireling during combat if their character is killed or otherwise out of action.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
For henchmen, I fully develop the character like a PC, including personality and motivations.  I let the player control up to 1 henchman at a time (the others are off doing other tasks), as long as the henchman is being played faithfully.

Hirelings are usually only around long enough to accomplish their one task, so I don't spec out the hireling, but I do establish the usual physical appearance and demeanor information.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
How do you handle them?
Usually, quite rough.  ;D

Seriously though, as a GM and player I will have full stats and treat them as a player/full-fledged individual.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
  In general, in game, I have the PC's treat them as they would in real life. As per stats I stat or stat out the important aspects of the NPC or iNPC (important NPC), hNPC (henchmen NPC), foNPC (follower NPC) and hiNPC (hireling NPC) but in general I wing it from there. I give the xNPC level approp. stats in skills and then drop the level approp. skill level for other skills.
 I generally do not use books with NPC's (and they tend to be the last book I would ever buy, but that is me) but there are times that I enjoy reading them and I can see people looking at them now a-days for build ideas. Build ideas was not a big term for me back in the early 2000's and late 1990's but it has come into the for-fount today.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 02:45:06 AM »
On a couple of occasions I've allowed players to take over a hireling if their character was killed (if that's what you mean).

Yep, that's precisely what I meant!

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:58:53 AM »
On a couple of occasions I've allowed players to take over a hireling if their character was killed (if that's what you mean).

Yep, that's precisely what I meant!

It's happened on a couple of occasions, like I said, and usually with an NPC that had been "part of the party" for some time. I also tend to level up henchmen and more important hirelings along with the PCs (means I have to track their XPs), so after a time the players feel like these NPCs are "one of them" and in some cases form game friendships with them. The two that ended up being taken over by players were a Fartrekker Bard (Fartrekkers are something like Gypsies in my world) with a drinking problem and a Dwarven duelist who grew from a bit walk-on part in an inn to something of the party's hired tank.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:03:45 AM »
I tend to develop them as the game goes on. At the beginning the players usually just need "someone to pick that lock" or "someone who'll guard our back for money" and they have very minimal stats (like profession, race, level. I look skill bonuses up in character law according to their level).
If they survive and stick to the group long enough to become of some importance, I fully stat them.

After re-playing d&d (b/x) for a while, I found that Morale is actually a nice way to handle their reactions to danger: it lets me be completely impartial and makes running NPCs slightly more entertaining (sometimes they'll surprise you, they really seem to act according to their own will, rather than being controlled by the GM).
I'm thinking of incorporating it into RM, too, maybe just as a straight % roll.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:13:38 AM »
After re-playing d&d (b/x) for a while, I found that Morale is actually a nice way to handle their reactions to danger: it lets me be completely impartial and makes running NPCs slightly more entertaining (sometimes they'll surprise you, they really seem to act according to their own will, rather than being controlled by the GM).
I'm thinking of incorporating it into RM, too, maybe just as a straight % roll.

Sorry I am not up on the D&D lingo what is D&D (b/x)?

Also have you looked into War Law for Moral? IIRC they have some rules in there that I think would work well or NPC's or group moral.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 11:32:15 AM »
DnD morale rules are far better than those in War Law: quicker, clearer and intuitive.  GG knocked it out the park with that tiny d20 table.  I have used it for years, slightly modified.

Basically, 5 or less, screaming attack...100+, over bearing affection.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
War Law was, IMO, overly-complex. Sort of an attempt to convert RM into a tabletop war game. It could be handy for unit morale, but didn't work too well when taken to the individual level.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »
yammahoper and intothatdarkness;
 Thanks I am playing in a Pathfinder game (it was that and/or a WoD game and I am very tired of WoD right now) and I will look that up.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »
Sorry I am not up on the D&D lingo what is D&D (b/x)?

Basic/Expert aka the red and the blue box (these: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NwmONfFRlSs/T3YXBQTtG6I/AAAAAAAAAIQ/KqwU6q0SpIY/s1600/IMG_0304.JPG)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »
Otherwise known as D&D as opposed to AD&D. Although by now that distinction may have disappeared.

It's interesting to look back through those old books, actually. They were pretty well put together. Rules sorta sucked in some areas, of course.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »
Isn't Pathfinder 3e?  Or 3.5e I guess.   Haven't read it yet.  I image I will, as something that popular rather demands attention from a gamer geek like myself...

Yet I refer to the original Dungeon Masters Guide from 1e, sorry for the confusion.  It is the only DnD book I wish I still had (and can see myself purchasing if one happens upon me via random book encounter roll).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 03:57:02 PM »
  Pathfinder is fixed 3.5e and they did a lot of fixing IMHO so it works very well together. If you want to take a look look for the pathfinder srd and you will find all the info you need in the book. I will not post the URL as it is another company.

D&D (b/x) when I bought the Basic Set it was just one Blue book with a Dragon on the cover.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »
The DMG was from AD&D as far as I know. Older D&D (which co-existed with AD&D for a time) had red, blue, and I think gold covers (don't remember the last one...I never bothered with Immortal or whatever they called it).
Darn that salt pork!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
D&D went back to being D&D and not AD&D for 3rd edition.

We usually refer to Pathfinder as 3.6. Since it picked things up from where 3.5 had left it, with enough fixes to qualify for adding a .1, while WoC released their tabletop MMO as 4th edition.

I played a little 3, 3.5, and 4. 4 was so bad we switched to World of Darkness instead. It looked shiny and new for some members of our group at first, and it did some things well (e.g. it really succeeded in terms of clarity in my opinion), but it didn't take long before no one in the group could tolerate it at all. The first player to try it (in someone else's campaign), who had pitched it, was also the first person to bail out and didn't come back until we changed systems.

I'm on a tangent from the thread, aren't I?  :-[
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »

Par for the course my friend  ;)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »

No worries. It happens. :)

I really stopped paying attention to D&D around the time Forgotten Realms came out in a big way, so missed the dropping of the 'A'. Got more into WHFRP, Mythus, and of course stuck with RM2.
Darn that salt pork!