Author Topic: Rolemaster News  (Read 5595 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Rolemaster News
« on: June 26, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »
Rolemaster fans should read the Rolemaster Briefing
(see http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=11857.0).

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster News
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »
Best news ever!  :D
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:25:08 AM »
Yay. Can't wait to see what's in store.

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »
Very excited! I'm confident Nicholas and the team are up for the challenge.

What is the ETA on the first new edition products? Or, perhaps I should instead ask what stage of production has so far been reached?

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:23 PM »
Standard answer:  "It will be ready when it's done."

Deadlines create expectations, which lead to a rushed job.  I want them to take their time and get this right.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Steel Rabbit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I eat words for breakfast.
    • Playing Non-Stop
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »
Great news! Might I suggest taking a cue from 13Mann's German Rolemaster books in terms of look. They are beautiful books. I can't wait to see the new game!

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 03:54:37 PM »
Status is currently advanced draft. Arms Law has been submitted to me already. Spell Law and Character Law are the next two scheduled to arrive.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline arcadayn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 04:23:33 PM »
That's frickin outstanding!  I look forward to promoting the hell out of it on Google+!
arcadayn

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 03:23:02 AM »
I'm quite keen on getting a PDF or whatever format viewable on a tablet.
So please make a tablet friendly electronic version. Meaning cut out lots of images and borders etc.. make it nicely optimised for Tablets.
If you do this I'll buy the lot. :)
www.chaos8.com

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:58:05 AM »
Status is currently advanced draft. Arms Law has been submitted to me already. Spell Law and Character Law are the next two scheduled to arrive.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

So, will the new HARP Fantasy make it out before the new RM? F it, I'll just buy em both.  :P

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »

Best wishes,
Nicholas

So, will the new HARP Fantasy make it out before the new RM? F it, I'll just buy em both.  :P

Yes. Layout is very advanced.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Monteblanco

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
Fantastic news! My group played a long (almost 2 years long) Rolemaster 2/Classic Campaign and we are taking a rest with AD&D. If the new edition is up to our taste, we might go back to Rolemaster later this year.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 04:39:27 AM »
Since it seems to be quite a popular concept recently, will there be something like an open beta/playtest version or will you just publish the books?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Fnord

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 04:47:01 AM »
Please, add a lot of adventures with old school style!!
(I'm thinking both TSR old school, AND MERP old school)

Offline frodolives

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
No playtest? I hope this version reflects some more modern RPG design concepts and dispenses with the d100 roll-over mechanics. A guy can dream, can't he? ;)

Offline frnchqrtr

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
No playtest? I hope this version reflects some more modern RPG design concepts and dispenses with the d100 roll-over mechanics. A guy can dream, can't he? ;)

Bite.Your.Tongue.   >:(

;)
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal and Duc de Richelieu

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 05:09:13 AM »

Whaaa? No D100 roll-over? That's crazy talk right there! ;D
But seriously, I doubt you will ever see RM lose that, it's so built into the system and some would say it's the essence (see what I did there) of RM as a system.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »
 Can we know the names of the authors of the books?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »
But seriously, I doubt you will ever see RM lose that, it's so built into the system and some would say it's the essence (see what I did there) of RM as a system.

If you propose losing that, you beg the question of how to resolve chances that are less than 1 in 100. As it stands, all ICE games in all iterations have a handy means to resolve "heroic" acts, where "heroic" is defined as something that rates a "Sheer Folly" or "Absurd" modifier. It's the flip side to the lethality of the combat system, that on the one hand it hasn't been nerfed, but on the other hand you can actually figure your chances of doing something suicidally stupid and getting away with it.

I'm all for simple where it can be achieved within an acceptable cost, but.... here, you'd have to either find something to replace it with or nerf the entire game, no?
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »

If you propose losing that, you beg the question of how to resolve chances that are less than 1 in 100. As it stands, all ICE games in all iterations have a handy means to resolve "heroic" acts, where "heroic" is defined as something that rates a "Sheer Folly" or "Absurd" modifier. It's the flip side to the lethality of the combat system, that on the one hand it hasn't been nerfed, but on the other hand you can actually figure your chances of doing something suicidally stupid and getting away with it.

I'm all for simple where it can be achieved within an acceptable cost, but.... here, you'd have to either find something to replace it with or nerf the entire game, no?

+1

RM ALWAYS let you try something. And on the flip side, there was always the chance that you could monumentally screw something up (open-end down). I always liked both options, as it gives players great options as well as the potential for some very interesting results for massive failure.
Darn that salt pork!