Author Topic: Ignite foe's cloak?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Ignite foe's cloak?
« on: June 21, 2012, 08:01:20 AM »
Would you allow a spell user to use an ignite spell on a foe's cloak?

U spells require a willing target, of course, but here the target is the cloak; a non-living object.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Ignite foe's cloak?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:25:05 AM »
As long as the cloak is worn by a living being I would say that this being would need to be willing to have the cloak ignited - which would rarely be the case  ;). So I would not allow it.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
As long as the cloak is worn by a living being I would say that this being would need to be willing to have the cloak ignited - which would rarely be the case  ;) . So I would not allow it.

I agree with the above and it has been a RM rule to play it so. 
   Also if the cloak is magical it gets a RR vs. the attack or at least in my game it does.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:21:07 AM »
Would you allow a spell user to use an ignite spell on a foe's cloak?

U spells require a willing target, of course, but here the target is the cloak; a non-living object.
Ignite is an 'U' spell? Which spell? From which book and spell list? AFAIK, all spells with a similar effect to Ignite and the Ignite spells themselves (one is in RoCoVII and is a 'F' spell, the other is in the RMSS SL and is an 'E' spell) are 'F' or 'E' spells. Since the RMSS spell cannot be used on a cloak, the others would allow a RR, being 'F' spells.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 11:38:21 AM »
If Spell law list it as U, I would change it to F.  My ignite spells are E, though a magical material may get an RR to only burn a little bit (singe, if you will).

Doesn't this spell have a vey limited range?  If a mage is so desperate to need to cast ignite on a foe that can hit him, I prefer to side on the freindly side for the PC.

Cloak ignites, target takes A heat crit, Easy mnv to remove at 20% activity, Routine at 100% activity.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »
Spell Law says E for the Magician Base list Fire Law, which means it works with no resistance roll and no spell attack roll.

However the description says "The caster may designate a type of light sources to ignite or extinguish (e.g. candles, torches, fireplaces, and lanterns, etc.). This spell will affect all of the light sources of the specified type(s) within the area of effect."

Area of effect 5'/lvl, range 5'/lvl.

I suppose you could master it to ignite other types of things but I would make it a type F spell in that case, so there is a resistance roll.

There are plenty of other lower level spells on the list that are suitable as attacks already, I don't know that this needs to become one too. I didn't look through all the other lists to compare different Ignite spells.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »
Ignite is a U spell on closed essence list "Fire Mastery", found in Essence Companion. Range is 100'.

The player in question can actually wield fire bolts with a DS of 120 or something. But, he wanted a more subtle and less direct attack, or something like that.. I like his style though, he's not into giving max damage at all costs.

I would probably rule that foe gets an A heat critical if keeping cloak on for a full round, then a B next round, then a C etc. Thus Im not concerned with this specific attack being a game breaker, more so with the precedence of allowing U spells on foe's items
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »
I would at least offer the foe a RR if the item affected is "within the foe's aura".
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »
RAW, a Utility spell isn't going to work. However, given that Mass Ignite at 7th level is listed as F rather than U, you should make them consistent, so go with F if you want to allow the "set clothes on fire" approach. This, however, will make it more powerful than the 3rd level Fire Law spell, which is wood-specific. Frankly, to keep the spells within the power levels of the rest of the list, I'd make them both U.

The name should never have been allowed. RMSS was supposed to keep spells with the same name consistent in effect. Allowing a completely different Ignite spell was sloppy editing.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »
Or you could just whack 'em with fire bolts - I was running my spacemaster (2) game last night and someone scored a crit with a laser (uses heat crits) and managed to incinerate the opponenet's cloak. Since cloaks are not a big detail feature on most military exoskeletons, there was nothing to incinerate. But the option is there, no RR given, you just need the right result on your crit :)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »
However the description says "The caster may designate a type of light sources to ignite or extinguish (e.g. candles, torches, fireplaces, and lanterns, etc.). This spell will affect all of the light sources of the specified type(s) within the area of effect."
It's why I wrote it cannot be used on a cloak (as written): it's expressively said to only affect a type of light sources.

I suppose you could master it to ignite other types of things...
IMO, that shouldn't be allowed, not without increasing the spell's level, as you don't merely change its parameters but its power (affecting something it was written not being able to affect).

Ignite is a U spell on closed essence list "Fire Mastery", found in Essence Companion. Range is 100'.
Ah, that's why: I don't have the Essence Companion. The question would be then: what does the spell allow to ignite? Light sources? Flammable items? Anything?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »
This gets into hair splitting. Is a downed tree a light source? It is if you make a campfire out of it.

How about a burning building?  :o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »
Anyone remember the Lord of the Rings cartoon that inspired this spell?  Early ADnD had the spell to.  It was the magic trick Gandalf used with the aid of One of the Three( Narya?) elven ring he wore to help the captured dwarves escape the Goblin King.  The rip off is so blatent, yet it captures perfectly the sort of power I imagine a Mage, Master of the Elements and Magic, to weild.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »
The Fire Mastery spell works on "one flammable object" so a cloak is within its parameter. It's a 3rd level spell, type U. RAW it can't be used against something worn by a resisting target (because it's type U). I would not be inclined to change that personally, since it is only 3rd level. But I'm sure you could find creatives situations to ignite things close to your target rather than actually on them.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »
Dry rushes on a castle floor?  Tapestries?  Seat cushions?  A blanket hanging on a chairback?  Lots of possibilities.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 05:57:37 AM »
If enough heat, oxygen and pressure is present EVERYTHING can burn/ corrode. So I don't think its about splitting hairs, its about the meaning of the spell and its wording. It is obvious only light sources can be ignited by the first spell and the other spell says flammable: and then I assume stuff like pitch, oil, tinder, wood and things like dry rushes and the like.

Some stuff isn't meant to burn: a moldy rotten thatch roof just won't ignite, unless the heat is enough to drive the moisture out before igniting it. Solid oak beams will scorch for a while, but without more fire sources it will peter out, leaving a 1' burn mark, unless, perhaps it is so dry that the fire can propagate itself.

Its a GM's discretion area. Some will be fine with it, others will be less enthusiastic.

My players have learned, though, that oak WILL burn when you splash it with lamp oil before using the ignite spell...
Game On!