Author Topic: Movement Rate in Combat  (Read 1736 times)

Offline geewaagh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Movement Rate in Combat
« on: April 29, 2012, 07:57:40 AM »
Hi all,

I am trying to understand movement in HARP SF.  I understand there are pace multipliers from x1 BMR to x5 BMR.  But what is reasonable in combat?  Run x2?  Do i need players to make rolls if they are going faster? Even in terrain is flat?

I see there is a "move and attack" for melee that gives penalty, but if you are just running for cover, moving across the map, etc, what happens?

Thanks
Greg

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Movement Rate in Combat
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:59:18 AM »
If all they are doing is moving, then I believe that the player picks the speed at which they are moving at (from walk to sprint) and moves that distance. Anyone attacking them takes that, along with distance and any other modifiers, into account. As the GM, you may have to rule whether or not the moving character reaches the cover prior to the attack, though.

Also, the movement is modified by any terrain obstructions, if any.

Without any more detail, that is all I can offer.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline geewaagh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Are you saying in an open terrain (grass field) combat, everyone can move at a pace of sprint during combat? Meaning there is no restrictions?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 02:13:42 PM »
Hi all,

I am trying to understand movement in HARP SF.  I understand there are pace multipliers from x1 BMR to x5 BMR.  But what is reasonable in combat?  Run x2?  Do i need players to make rolls if they are going faster? Even in terrain is flat?

I see there is a "move and attack" for melee that gives penalty, but if you are just running for cover, moving across the map, etc, what happens?

Thanks
Greg

Move & Attack is what most people will be using. If just running around the battlefield (as opposed to fighting at the same time), there are maneuver penalties given on page 51 for the different paces. If the character does not have Sports: Running skill, then it becomes an Agility stat-based maneuver (d100 open-ended plus x2 Ag stat bonus). A generous GM might allow the higher of Qu or Ag.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline geewaagh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 05:26:25 PM »
Nicholas,
Thank you for responding.  I know it might sound like the same question, but do you have a make a MM roll if you are running in combat? 
If the answer is yes, then I am really confused about the table.  Based on the maneuver table, the odds are not pretty for anything over walking. 
If you RUN (x2) at HARD (-20) with no stat bonus, then you move slower than a walking (50% of 2x pace) on a roll of 70 or less.
If you FAST RUN (x3) at VERY HARD (-40) with no stat bonus, then you move slower than a run (60% of 3x pace) on a roll of 110 or less.  Slower than walking (33% of 3X pace) on a roll of 80 or less.
If you Sprint (x4) at Extremely Hard (-60) with no stat bonus, then you move slower than a run (50% of 4x pace) on a roll of 120 or less.  Slower than walking (25% of 4X pace) on a roll of 90 or less.
If you Dash (x5) at Sheer Folly (-80) with no stat bonus, then you move slower than a run (40% of 5x pace) on a roll of 120 or less.  Slower than walking (20% of 5X pace) on a roll of 100 or less.
This strikes me as very strange, so I assume I am misunderstanding something. 
Not trying to be difficult, just want to understand what I am doing wrong.

Best regards,
Greg

PS - If you "Move and Attack" do you still have to make a roll to determine your pace?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 03:10:37 AM »
If you "Move and Attack", then you don't need a roll as the attack part of the action is taking precedence and you already get a move-based penalty. It would be legitimate to apply the same principle to other combat actions where some movement could be incorporated into a larger picture.

All pure stat-based maneuvers quickly become really difficult to succeed at, even if you have stat bonuses. Depending on the environment conditions, e.g. the surface terrain, you might give bonuses for suitably flat terrain.  The best approach for characters is to buy some skill ranks in Sports:Running and then you are making a skill maneuver and can make your odds better.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 12:32:33 AM »
Since I could not find anything concerning that matter, I just wanted to add an opinion.

I do not know if this fits the streamlined and fast Combat System of HARP SF, but I think it is harder to hit a moving target, especially if it is not moving toward or from the shooter, but sideways.

Would you factor that in, and if yes: what would the DB bonus be, shooting a person running sideways, even though there is no cover being used?
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:13:35 PM »
Interesting question I think.

Not sure if its part of the rules, can't check since all books are in boxes at the moment.

I guess there could be some modification to DB based on pace multiplier and direction in relation to shooter. Its been a while since I had a steady harp group, so its hard to come with a sufficiently thought through suggestion.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »
Yeah, I just quickly looked and couldn't find anything on movement mods for attacks. (And why isn't there just a section on movement that can be quickly found in the index?)

My thoughts: Movement does not require a roll, unless there is a significant/immediate detriment to failing (Such as falling off a cliff) , or you ar tying to go further than normal. So, you don't make rolls for running across a field, unless tripping and falling can hurt you in some way, or you need to go a distance that is further than you can normally go. (I really have come to dislike the idea of putting scores of rolls in a game for things that really don't matter. Eventually, they will fail something incredibly inane and suffer horribly for it, at which point the game will truly begin to suck for them. You can rationalize all you want about "realism/versimilitude", but tripping while crossing a stream and losing your pulse rifle just before you reach the enemy is a terrible way for the "story" to go. IMO.)

As for movment granting DB, I would go with a simple +5 or +10 per movement rate over walking: Run +5/+10, Fast Run +10/+20, Sprint +15/+30, and Dash +20/+40. Which bonus depends upon if you are from the typical RM school of, "if it is for the PCs, if so, then it has to be the worst possible." I am more likely to go with the +10 per, because it is more friendly to the defender.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.