Author Topic: Magic Item Intelligence  (Read 2239 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Magic Item Intelligence
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:25:17 AM »
Just wondering: How do you handle the intelligence of a magic item?

The way I have handled it is not wrong, but it is definitely not for everyone.

I tend to handle the first addition of intelligence as if it were like a computer.  In other words, only the basic groundwork for the actual intelligence is there.  Casting the "add intelligence" spell a second time, is what actually makes the intelligence more human (or appropriate species).  A third casting of the "add intelligence" spell a third time allows the caster to imbue a portion of his spirit (or other's spirit) into the item.  This would be similar to Sauron's creation of The One Ring.

However, I did not increase the time multiplier for each casting of the "add intelligence".  In other words, it took the same amount of time for each casting.  If it takes eight weeks for the first casting, it would take eight weeks for the other castings.  Although one could make the case for each "add intelligence" spell being an additional ability, I did/do not.

I just felt it was too easy to make a comletely inanimate, unintelligent item into an intelligent item that could have animation with just one spell casting.  I felt it should take at least two castings to add intelligence to something that never was.

Also, at the time of the casting of the second "add intelligence" spell, the caster can additionally add demeanor and outlook to the item similar to the Role Traits on pages 28, 29, 143 of the RMFRP book.  In other words, the forger could make a sword with a sick sense of humor.

How about y'all?  Just the one casting?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Magic Item Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:06:08 AM »
I add up the total level of spells used to make an item and use that as the base number of days needed to make it.  Skill or research checks, rituals, etc, may modify the time.

I have worked in blue collar manufacturing my entire life.  The base rules for time needed seem silly to me.

That said, I define imbuing intelligence as embeding a soul/spirit into the item.  The soul.spirit must be willing.  There is magic to use the unwilling, but that falls under the dark arts.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »
  I keep forgetting I do intelligence differently than the book. I only require intelligence in an item if it has to decide when to cast spells by viewing/sensing the environment, but not if it just has to cast a spell at a preset time or when a spell runs out.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »
I handle magic item intelligence a bit different also.
Raising the level of spell for each Int help me.
Empathy...1-5
Low...6-10
Med...11-15
High...16-20
Very High..25-50

This is how the spells are grouped so it made sense to group item Int the same way. Very High Int should be the same range as PC's. IMHO.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:53:49 AM »
Treasure Companion has rules for Magic Item Intelligence. IMO worth a look.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:47:35 AM »
Hate to say it, but everyone missed the question.

I just felt it was too easy to make a comletely inanimate, unintelligent item into an intelligent item that could have animation with just one spell casting.  I felt it should take at least two castings to add intelligence to something that never was.

How about y'all?  Just the one casting?

Treasure Companion has rules for Magic Item Intelligence. IMO worth a look.

Done owned for several years.

My process is:
I tend to handle the first addition of intelligence as if it were like a computer (actually more like the formatting of a diskette).  In other words, only the basic groundwork for the actual intelligence is there.  Casting the "add intelligence" spell (of whatever level) a second time, is what actually makes the intelligence more human (or appropriate species).  A third casting of the "add intelligence" spell allows the caster to imbue a portion of his spirit (or other's spirit) into the item.  This would be similar to Sauron's creation of The One Ring.

The question is: Do you think it should take only one casting to make an item intelligent/animate?

Thanks guys and sorry for the confusion.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
Sorry, I thought trapping a spirit into an item stated one casting as obvious.  After all, you cant trap part of the soul over many castings...or can you?  Hmm, an evil plot springs to mind...

But yes, to be clear, one casting to imbed an item with an intelligence.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:06:15 PM »
Well, I wouldn't let players create their own magical items to start with... so how they have it done is they go to someone else who can do it for them, then it simply becomes a matter of if I want it to be possible and how much I want them to pay for it (and not always in monetary value).  The details are just not important, unless I want to make them so (i.e. you have to go find "x" resource...).

So, when it comes to intelligence, it is simply a matter of how I WANT the item to interact with the character.  Some items will allow you to wield them, but won't work magically.  Some will allow you to wield them and work only in situations they want to work.  Some will allow you full free will of their abilities.  Some will stop you from or make you perform certain actions (RR is usually applicable).  And some will actually have true intelligence (i.e. be able to communicate with you).  It mostly hinges on the purpose of the item and the intent of the holder of the item.

Where the intelligence came from?  In most situations the 'intelligence' will have been created by a superior being (a god most likely) or is the actual 'soul' of a formerly living being who was either forced into the item by a 'bad guy' or willingly placed there (probably by a 'good guy', but not always).  If a player asks how it was accomplished I'd probably say "Magically". :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:12:15 PM by Cory Magel »
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline jaranka

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 12:54:23 AM »
According to Treasure Companion, you have to cast the appropriate Intelligence spell every single day of that item's creation.  For an item that takes 20 weeks to complete, that's 140 castings.

I'm not sure what method of item creation you use, but one, two or three castings seems like another system altogether.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 07:09:49 AM »
  BTW, a great flaw is that you think special items you have are intelligent and converse with them out loud, but you think you are doing it silently and anyone that can hear you has mind powers.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:46:41 AM »
According to Treasure Companion, you have to cast the appropriate Intelligence spell every single day of that item's creation.  For an item that takes 20 weeks to complete, that's 140 castings.

I'm not sure what method of item creation you use, but one, two or three castings seems like another system altogether.

Yes, MY system, which is how I like it.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »
Back in the day when I was playing RM, with 3 realms, I had 3 separate rationales for "magic item intelligence".

1. Mentalism: You can invest an item with the mental pattern of any Mind Stored target. It won't make the item necessarily as intelligent as the target copied, and certainly won't translate the same level and skill sets, but the item will have an identical mindset, and will react in ways eminently predictable to those who know the original person well.

2. Channeling: You can invest an item with the spirit of any willing individual. Whether this individual is alive, dead, whatever, varies according to the ethics of the religion in question. The process is similar to the creation of undead, but avoids most of the moral complications. The item's level, intelligence and skill set depends on both the abilities and intelligence of the spirit chosen and how complete the investiture is. In short, you may or may not get all the skills and abilities of the original spirit (varies with the skill of the craftsman), but you certainly won't get an item more intelligent or more skilled than the spirit invested in it.

3. Essence: Unlike the other methods, intelligent items made using Essence magic don't use an already existing intelligence as a template. What laymen call "intelligence" and "personality" in an Essence item, the creator himself terms "heuristics". It's a complicated and delicate process, but creates an "intelligence" (defined as a pattern that constantly reprograms itself in response to environmental sampling) that is unique and non-spiritual, thus avoiding many of the issues of the other 2 methods.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula