Author Topic: healing spells and background flaws  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Faustized

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
healing spells and background flaws
« on: February 15, 2012, 05:58:30 AM »
Can i remove a physical background flaw with an appropriate healing spell?
In particular can i remove "tender skin" and "common allergy" flaws with an undisease or another healing spell?
My very first character is dead falling from the stairs the first time I played ... since then I have not left RM :D

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: healing spells and background flaws
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:42 AM »
I’d say no, for these are not diseases. They are just the way the character is.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »
I'd say you need a combination of healing spells (as the justification) and EP (per Talent Law, as the game balancer).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »
 I would ask you GM if you can or is it a game breaker or are you skirting the rules to get extra points from the Flaws.

I have not looked up the Flaws but from memory I would say the Uncommon Allergy, no. IMHO it is more genetic then a disease as in the definition in the book.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »
However, in construct companion, there are spells to alter the body. Maybe a gene cure could be researched in these lists.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
I think it is possible.
But there is a reason that you have these flaws.
They are used as a balancing factor for talents that the character might have.

Curing flaws could be a series of games. Hopefully not just a one night side adventure.

If the flaw is cured or removed, should it be replaced with another flaw of equal value that somehow relates to the story?

If you have a common allergy with a severe reaction, you could take medicine or herbs to alleviate the symptoms. In effect, this eliminates your flaw. But you have to find, buy and prepare the medication.
Is it expensive, or hard to find? Maybe it's illegal in one town and common in the next.
The medication could be slightly addictive and you don't know until you are out.

Whatever happens, the penalty shouldn't be greater than the original flaw.

Have fun.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »
Can i remove a physical background flaw with an appropriate healing spell?
In particular can i remove "tender skin" and "common allergy" flaws with an undisease or another healing spell?

IMHO, no.

However, there is an option where BOPnts can also be given along with XP.  Forget which RMFRP book, but I think it is in Character Law, section 10 (don't have ebooks with me).  I think it is something like 1 to 5 BOPnts per level.  If you are using that option, then I would require the PC to spend the same amount of BOPnts to "buy off" the flaw.  Then the healing spell can be used as the reason why the flaw no longer effects the PC.

Otherwise, it would be as markc said, "Ask your GM."  It would be his/her decision.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
Healing a flaw is a great opportunity for character growth and adventure.

Take the Tender Skin flaw.  Normally magic should be able to alleviate the rashes and what not, but for some reason, magic does not have the same affect in this case.  The why is were the adventure may lay.  A long ago magic, blessing or curse suffered or gained or lost by an ancestor or even being born under a certain moon, star, at a specific time or place or comination of the three; exposure to something, an unfriendly witch...whew, thats a run-on sentence from hell... ::)...anyway, you get my point.  Use the desire to remove the flaw as an avenue to a bigger adventure, open some doors and let the madness begin.

I bet you get five to twelve sessions out of it, easy.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.