Author Topic: Large and A-E Cits  (Read 4187 times)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Large and A-E Cits
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
All rules are optional, although some of them are core.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »
And even the core rules are optional.

IMHO, I look at everything in any RPG as being optional guidelines.  I do not view anything as rules.  The only reason I'll call them rules is because of where I am from.  In SENC Land (South Eastern North Carolina), we like to use as few syllables (not just words, but also syllables) as possible to say something.  Thus, I will say "rules" since it is easier to say than "optional guidelines."  1 word versus 2, and 1 syllable versus 4.  Furthermore, it also easier to type.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:30 AM »
I think the criticals should also list effects against the armour or shields of the recipient of the blow. I recently watched "Thirteenth Warrior" again and the sword slicing the shield up.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline jaranka

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 03:13:29 AM »
There are optional rules (I forget where atm) about the abuse armor takes and how to repair it.  Each AT had a number of "hit points" that were deducted when the wearer was dealt damage, with extra damage dealt depending on the crit severity.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 04:03:38 AM »
There are optional rules (I forget where atm) about the abuse armor takes and how to repair it.  Each AT had a number of "hit points" that were deducted when the wearer was dealt damage, with extra damage dealt depending on the crit severity.

Arms Law

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »
All rules are optional, although some of them are core.

Of course they are, but given the amount of fussing that can go on regarding how to fit "optional" rules together one does wonder at times how many actually believe or practice that philosophy. And there are those out there who assume that anything published is automatically "core" and thus should be used.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
So what's better for customers and company, a system with 100 supplements and several campaign settings or very few supplements and campighn settings?

Options are good.  Yes, it is common for players to think supplements are additional core rules, or at least wish so, but GM's and ttrpg's as a whole are sophisticated enough to see past that.   The books themselves even stress the fact.

So a book with lots of crits might not be used by some, but I think it would be used, at least in part, by most.  I agree less tables in RM would be good, but not less crit tables, though I would have no problem if they changed the format a bit.  Or not at all. 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
So what's better for customers and company, a system with 100 supplements and several campaign settings or very few supplements and campighn settings?

Options are good.  Yes, it is common for players to think supplements are additional core rules, or at least wish so, but GM's and ttrpg's as a whole are sophisticated enough to see past that.   The books themselves even stress the fact.

So a book with lots of crits might not be used by some, but I think it would be used, at least in part, by most.  I agree less tables in RM would be good, but not less crit tables, though I would have no problem if they changed the format a bit.  Or not at all.

I tend to fall closer to the simple core rules with a number of campaign settings/options (to include gaming eras and the like) school. Personally I don't want to have to dig through tons of stuff to find the crit table for "Sword Attacks by a right-handed fighter against a right-handed fighter using a wooden shield", but I recognize that I may in a minority. However, I would want to find the "Limb Critical" chart specifically designed for gunpowder weapons, along with a better initial damage table for same. And I'd be ok with a generic "Limb" table locating the hit in the crit as opposed to separate "Arm" and "Leg" tables.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 05:52:47 AM »
The point at hand, in the way I see it, is that you either rework the whole system and release RM3 or provide more options for RMC/RM2/RMSS players. Both work for me.

And back on topic, yes, more crit tables sounds ace.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 02:45:02 AM »
While I think that RM needs simplification wherever possible in order to attract new users, even if only appearing simpler, I think the more critical tables the better so long as they do not become redundant.  Just need to make sure they remain consistent in balance somehow.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 02:46:06 PM »
I thought a good source book would be Critical Law, filled with optional critical tables. 

A few years back, I suggested to ICE Bruce that he work on a book of 1000 critical hit tables to be titled Critical Hit Table Law.

Strangely, he declined to embrace this excellent idea.  Genius is never understood in its own time.
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 09:40:06 PM »
1000...I wish. 

I have never seen the crit tables turn players off the way all the attack tables have (they look like jubberish to the uninitiated).  Crit tab;es are fun and cool and players like to use new ones in my experience.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
On the republishing of crit tables, It appears that something is slightly altered, each time.

The group has used Arms Law #5520 for years. Ours is a bit cumbersome because of sheet protectors and heavy notebook.
#5520 does have different crits built into the roll; puncture, slash and crush from a broadsword, for example. Where #5810 has the smoothed, easy to read tables, but less variety in damage/crits. You can do different crits in the newer book, but there's something to the variety of the old book.

Also, the crit tables are on the back of each weapon, but that may just be how the group printed it. So there is less book flipping.

I like Arms Law #5810 because it's easier to handle (and read!) while running a game.

The hits for weapons are nearly identical in both so it doesn't upset the game too much, but there are differences.

There descriptions for crits can vary, too. One book may be more descriptive than the other, but the damage, stun and penalties appear the same.

It's worth considering if such a book is ever printed. Just saying.  :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 02:05:51 AM »
1000...I wish. 

I have never seen the crit tables turn players off the way all the attack tables have (they look like jubberish to the uninitiated).  Crit tables are fun and cool and players like to use new ones in my experience.

Fully agree Yamma. A little while ago I started writing Large and Super Large critical tables for magical attacks, started with Impact/Fire/Cold/Heat and now also Unholy/Lava/Dehydration/Plasma/Acid and while of course they are not game-altering and they shouldn't be my players love looking up different critical types and gruesome deaths. My plan is to slowly create Large and Super Large critical tables for all RM2 magical critical types, including the ones I come up with (Unholy, Lava and Dehydration are mine ofc).

IMO the reason why more critical tables doesn't turn people off is because while attack tables require math (OB-DB+Mods-Mods ....) and thus they are time-consuming, critical tables are one roll, instant-satisfaction guaranteed stops.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 10:51:03 AM »
I made a Lightning Ball crit table and uploaded it to the Vault. I'm not saying its perfect, but for me, it's better than the old one which was way overpowered and just broken.

This may have been mentioned, but..
Maybe everybody that has house made crit tables could upload them and we could compile a non-official, totally not RAW, Crit Book.
We could also agree up front that the company can do anything they like with the info. That way, if something does become of it, we won't have to be tracked down years from now.

Excel might be a good format, but I can always convert one file to another, for use with my game.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »
This may have been mentioned, but..
Maybe everybody that has house made crit tables could upload them and we could compile a non-official, totally not RAW, Crit Book.
We could also agree up front that the company can do anything they like with the info. That way, if something does become of it, we won't have to be tracked down years from now.

I'm probably wrong but I think that's more or less what the Vault is for.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »
You are correct, good man!
I've found that it's always best to be redundant whenever there is a hint of legal libel.

Also, it's good to read about other people's home brew crit tables, but I want to see and use them.
 :)

Post your crits.