Author Topic: Large and A-E Cits  (Read 4188 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Large and A-E Cits
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »
I was wondering if people would like to see A-E crits for Large and Super Large creatures?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Large and A-E Cits
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:24:52 AM »
I don't see any reason why not.  In fact, I have thought of writing such up, but never could find that "round tuit."

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »
I wouldn't mind looking at those..

It seems that most of the Large critters our group encounters takes crits as normal. 

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »
In some ways L & SL A-E crits is implied already. Look at the F-J crits on the Lightning Bolt table.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 07:41:45 PM »
And for everyone else who never seems to find that "round tuit."

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 07:53:21 PM »
I thought a good source book would be Critical Law, filled with optional critical tables.  A-E for No Armor, A-E for Soft Leather, et al, including A-E for LA, SL, even I and II (if that makes sense).

The book could easily be 120 pages.  Any volunteers to write the critical tables?

I also thought an optional crit resolution system could be created.  When a crit is scored versus a specific AT, a range of possible damge is rolled for with d10(s), covering hits per round, stun, activity penaltys, bone/muscle/nerve/organ dame, etc.  This would create variable results for the same critical result rolls but be kinda slow and cumbersome since it would require 3+ d10 rolls.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »
There was a RoCo without crits but using dice for damage, iirc...
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 03:29:04 AM »
I thought a good source book would be Critical Law, filled with optional critical tables.  A-E for No Armor, A-E for Soft Leather, et al, including A-E for LA, SL, even I and II (if that makes sense).

The book could easily be 120 pages.  Any volunteers to write the critical tables?

I also thought an optional crit resolution system could be created.  When a crit is scored versus a specific AT, a range of possible damge is rolled for with d10(s), covering hits per round, stun, activity penaltys, bone/muscle/nerve/organ dame, etc.  This would create variable results for the same critical result rolls but be kinda slow and cumbersome since it would require 3+ d10 rolls.

I am working on some ideas but I do not know if I am going to do a crit table for every armor type and every damage type.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »

I do like that idea but that's an enormouse amount of work. If there was some sort of set structure for damage, bleeding and penalties etc. then I guess it would be easier. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is nothing like that is there?

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »

Except perhaps title it "Critical Injury Law"?  But that would be a good idea for someone ambitious enough to write it.  However, how many would actually buy it?  I probably would just to look at it.  And might even use it.

rmfr

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »
I don't know that RM needs more pages of tables to flip through, personally. Tables for large and super large don't really add much bulk in practice, since they would only come up in use rarely. But different crit tables for each class of armors? That's crazy. If you're going to change the balance of effectiveness of armors vs weapons, the combat tables should be the focus.

I would also be thinking about how much work it would be to type everything in... since we use software for critical lookups anyway....  so in that sense an algorithm for stun, injury penalties, etc would not slow us down. But it would for anyone without software.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »
Did I dream it but have I seen on this site Large and S Large Crits for Slash/Puncture/Krush.

If I did can you post the link someone? So many posts on here difficult to find the one you want.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:03 PM »
Did I dream it but have I seen on this site Large and S Large Crits for Slash/Puncture/Krush.

If I did can you post the link someone? So many posts on here difficult to find the one you want.

They are in Arms Companion, an RM2 book.  There is also Martial Arts crit tables versus LA and SL.  Favorite crit result:  You tried to do WHAT to a dragon?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
Did I also imagine seeing somewhere L & SL spell crits broken out for various elemental types?  That is somethine we always felt lacking

I do like that idea but that's an enormouse amount of work. If there was some sort of set structure for damage, bleeding and penalties etc. then I guess it would be easier. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is nothing like that is there?

Kind of like the armor rules in Martial Law for HARP where the armor type actually affects the crit results?  Along those lines you would have a standard progression of damage but the flavor text would be changing, i.e. a slash and krush crit of the same number would cause the same damage and mnv penalty but one would be a cut tendon and the other a broken bone.  Each crit type could also have different effects - slash would cause bleed, crush perhaps additional mnv penalties.

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the crits and the flavor text.  The flavor text often has a lot of impact on the game since those details let you know what is needed to actually heal the damage.  Simplifying healing in RM and the crit tables become much simpler as well.  (again reference HARP - crits with flavor but really only two healing spells)  But then you lose a major component as to what makes RM unique - which can be good and bad. 
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:48:31 AM »
...love/hate relationship with the crits and the flavor text.  The flavor text often has a lot of impact on the game since those details let you know what is needed to actually heal the damage.

Over the years I have learned to add color of my own, as situations demand and the color description on the table gets old/doesn't fit the situation.

Still, the color is good.  New players love it and it takes a long time to achieve all the crit results on all the tables.

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 05:41:05 PM »
Roger that thanks?

They are in Arms Companion, an RM2 book.  There is also Martial Arts crit tables versus LA and SL.  Favorite crit result:  You tried to do WHAT to a dragon?

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »
@jdale:  Have an idea point! ITA--Rolemaster needs more tables like I need another hole in my head.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »
On the software note:
A buddy of mine, one of the players, scoffs at all the gui computer systems prevalent today.
He is a command line operator network guy for telephone systems, on call all the time..
If it's not command line, he's not interested. He wants a totally command line driven program for RM. Type "swing/sword/bastard/120OB -40DB" (or something) and it should spit out the final product with crits. That would be darn fast, but not for everyone.

I don't type fast, so I'll take the gui when you get it done.  :)

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »
I have completed Large and Super Large crit tables for Cold/Fire/Ele/Impact + Unholy (my own) in my own book, so I do find the concept of more crit tables fun. As always, just make them optional. Some people like them, some people don't. I love the additional crit tables the Arm's Companion brings and so do my players, so we use them all the time, but others probably don't.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »
I have completed Large and Super Large crit tables for Cold/Fire/Ele/Impact + Unholy (my own) in my own book, so I do find the concept of more crit tables fun. As always, just make them optional. Some people like them, some people don't. I love the additional crit tables the Arm's Companion brings and so do my players, so we use them all the time, but others probably don't.

Of course the Companions were all optional as well, but some don't see them that way. It's interesting to see how many fusses start over optional rules when all you have to do to avoid the fuss is not use the optional rules.

I understand where you're coming from, but RM can already be seen as being over-complicated, and another volume of "optional" rules won't help that perception.
Darn that salt pork!