Author Topic: (Privateers) Athletic*Gymnastic ranks for humans...  (Read 1583 times)

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
(Privateers) Athletic*Gymnastic ranks for humans...
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:19:12 AM »
I found a discrepancy between the Privateers rulebook and Races & Cultures regarding the Human Adolescent skills.

In the Privateers Rulebook page 39 the only race to receive a rank in the Athletic*Gymnastic skill category and Climbing skill is the Falar but in the Races & Cultures book page 55 humans do as well.

Which is correct, Privateers or Races & Cultures?

Thanks!

>>ReaperWolf

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: (Privateers) Athletic*Gymnastic ranks for humans...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »
  IIRC Races and Cultures is correct. You might also check the errata file to see if someone has seen your error before as it has lots of good info and can help you out a lot.
  The errata should also have corrected tables for starship weapons as well as notes about redesigns of starships in SM:P TL:VM

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »
  IIRC Races and Cultures is correct. You might also check the errata file to see if someone has seen your error before as it has lots of good info and can help you out a lot.
  The errata should also have corrected tables for starship weapons as well as notes about redesigns of starships in SM:P TL:VM

I'm compiling an errata doc for my own use using the official one as a starting point.

There are lots of little forgotten odds and ends in Races & Cultures that aren't in the core Privateers book, little snippets like the Oort's poor vision and Kagoth and Falar's bonuses to Exhaustion points.

>>ReaperWolf

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:22:16 PM »

I'm compiling an errata doc for my own use using the official one as a starting point.

There are lots of little forgotten odds and ends in Races & Cultures that aren't in the core Privateers book, little snippets like the Oort's poor vision and Kagoth and Falar's bonuses to Exhaustion points.

>>ReaperWolf

I agree. I think some of it was left out do to space issues. But a lot should have been included as it is important, IMHO.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »
I love those little details about races - it can make a real difference and give you a good handle to get some roleplayiing mileage out of them. But sometimes the concept is enough - I've played Dragonstar (3.5 D&D in space, where the dragons rule everything and drow are the secret service), and one of my favourite races in there is the Sathoni. I mean, who can't respect a plant species that carved out an empire of thousands of star systems, but who, when given a chance, will prefer to just lie in the sun, combining the effects of a good lunch and a nap all in one?!

However, it was clearly only put in as a concept race, and some detail was glossed over. I had a great time (the GM less so) in fleshing out some of the ways in which the race worked... Yes, they photosynthesise, and eat soil, but what about excretion? Plants don't 'eat' soil, they just perform mineral exchange. Plants gain energy from carbon dioxide - does this mean that on a Sathoni ship CO2 is the main atmospheric component? If they have lived on a planet for a long time, do they have to move off it eventually because of global cooling as so many of them are taking in the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere? Glorious details, in my opinion :)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:07:48 PM »
We trimmed stuff down a bit in the main book to make it simpler, as was the style of the day.  :)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com