Author Topic: (Privateers) Oort vision in Races & Cultures...  (Read 1574 times)

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
(Privateers) Oort vision in Races & Cultures...
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »
According to Races & Cultures page 71, oorts have poor vision and unless they wear corrective lenses they take a -30 OB to ranged attacks.

This is huge.

Are the corrective lenses eyeglasses/goggles or are they contact lenses? If so what's the cost.

At some point cybernetic lenses would be available to correct the problem.

Should this penalty apply to certain vision based tests such as Awareness*Senses rolls?

>>ReaperWolf

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: (Privateers) Oort vision in Races & Cultures...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
Are the corrective lenses eyeglasses/goggles or are they contact lenses? If so what's the cost.

Yes, on all.  I'd use the cost of Anti-Glare Lenses as a basis.  Perhaps make corrective ones cost at least 100 and up to 500 or more, depending upon correction needed.  Believe it or not, the last pair of corrective lenses I got cost me over $700.   :o  faint...  thump...

At some point cybernetic lenses would be available to correct the problem.

True, but think about the cost.  If corrective lenses can cost 100 to 500, then cyber lenses/eyes would cost at least 10 times that, if not much more.

Should this penalty apply to certain vision based tests such as Awareness*Senses rolls?

It would apply to ALL Awareness*Senses involving Sight.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
I agree to everything above.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »
Officially, I wonder if this is needs to be added to the errata.

>>ReaperWolf

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
I don't see that errata is necessary.  If anything it would be more of a ruling.  That seemed to have worked itself out with common sense pretty well.  Honestly, I'd never worry about it unless they were taken away.  I wore corrective lenses for years and only rarely didn't have them when I needed them.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »
Are the corrective lenses eyeglasses/goggles or are they contact lenses?

Forgot to mention one thing.  Just like humans, Oorts can have eye conditions which prevent them from wearing contacts.  I have a condition known as "dry eye" (of which there are the Restasis commercials).  Due to this, I cannot wear contacts.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »
Contacts are over-rated. I started wearing them when I took up Karate and continued for several years. Lenses are such a hassle to take care of. The final straw for me was when I forgot to neutralise the cleaning solution before putting it back in my eye. Hydrogen peroxide in your eyeball first thing in the morning is one heck of a wake up call. Yes, it's only a 4% solution, but as I now know from my science learning since, pH is a logarithmic scale, so starting at pH 1, even a 1% solution is still pH 3! Since then, glasses all the way :)

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:45:45 PM »
Most of the pictures I've seen have Oorts wearing goggles so I figure they have prescription goggles. Standard eyeware but if the player wants to make 'em special that's what background options were for.

>>ReaperWolf