Author Topic: What is "evil" in Rolemaster?  (Read 9738 times)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: What is "evil" in Rolemaster?
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:59 PM »
Evil is live spelled backwards, so according to T.H. White, Merlin was evil.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
Don't know if other posted this or not.  I can't remember and did not feel like going over 6 pages of posts.

In the past, when a caster had a Detect Evil spell active, I have even ruled that a generally "good" person having a particularly "evil" thought was detected by the spell.  Such as, "I really feel like killing my a__hole of a boss."  In a sense, the spell is detecting the "evil" of the thought, not whether the person is truly "evil" or not.

Currently, I would never rule this way again.

Any other opinions on this?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2012, 10:19:15 AM »
Having Detect Evil detect an evil thought goes far beyond what I would ever allow it to do.

For me a Detect Evil can only identify creatures/items which are inherently Evil by their very nature, and it must be an evil which cannot be changed without impacting the essence of what the creature/item is.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »
Having a desire for Detect Evil stems from the same desire that created Puritans.  So a spell that detects thought is wicked indeed.  Thats some intense roleplaying there, far more intense than most players I've met like to go.  We enter the TEAR ZONE.

...but if you can pull it off, its gonna make the final battle one to remember.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »
The 90% coverage "as close as you can get to an official answer without specifying a gameworld" was:

"Evil in spell descriptions means Demons, Undead, any creature that casts innately from an Evil spell list, any object created with evil magic, and any PC or NPC who has ranks in an Evil spell list. The area of effect of a spell from an evil list will detect as evil during the duration of the spell." subject to any specific riders, additions or subtractions by the GM to fit the standards of objective evil in their game world.

As always, subject to that GM tweak, but at best, it wouldn't react to "I'd love to strangle my boss" but perhaps it might respond to someone intensely thinking "Ordainer Moloch, if you can hear me, I would trade my soul if you'd come here and kill my boss."

But only if as GM you decided that intense mental prayer to demons was actually heard by said demons and might get a reply. . .which would make that evil thought an E-vil thought. . .but if it's not communing with E-vil and no matter how hard you think it Moloch isn't going to show up to kill your boss and collect your soul, then merely thinking ill ends upon someone isn't evil enough to be E-vil and detectable. "Detect Hate" would work in that instance. . .that's the spell all bosses worried about mundane employees going mundane postal for mundane office mayhem should learn, not "Detect Evil".
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
 If "evil" thoughts are detected then IMHO 90% of people would detect as "evil" at one or more times during the day.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »
I suspect using "Detect Hate" a lot would likely give you a rather cynical view of your world. (Then again, I'm fairly cynical.).

Based on page after page of this thread, I suspect a lot of people are confusing the two spells. Most of the little e evil that people have delved here is either totally off the edge (the hungry beggar coveting your bread) or examples of Hate. . .like the boiling internal mental processes of a raging psychopath.

Notice that where it shows up in channeling "Detect Evil/Good" is "easier" (lower level) than scanning thoughts for "detect Hate" but the reverse is true for mentalism, where it's easier to sense hateful thoughts than to pick up objective Evil.

Beyond that, the "Taint of blood" on a murderers metaphorical hands is covered by "Death's Tale" and the like, so that's not the E-vil intended. (Heck, you can kill someone for the best, most high minded reasons and those death spells will still finger you). So a mass murderer will be like a beacon to those spells, but fall under the Evil radar, unless they also happen to be consorting with objectively Evil forces somehow.

Spells work best when they're specific and don't overlap excessively. . .and where the detect evil spells specify "True Evil" they mean objective evil, not mundane badness or less than nice thinking. . . .Essentially if any example you can think of doesn't involve undead, demons, Dark Gods, or compacts with such dark forces, odds are it's not "true evil" in the sense these spells intend.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:26:51 PM by Marc R »
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com