Author Topic: It's probably not a fox in heat.  (Read 2015 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
It's probably not a fox in heat.
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:23:14 AM »
"It's probably not a fox in heat." Jinn the Noseless.

Deep in the underdark, the group notices a dim glow from a side passage in the tunnel ahead.
The Mystic, Jinn, sends his fox Familiar as an invisible advance scout.
 'Fox' reports back that he hears tasty songbirds, sees a crumbling female statue near a pool of clear water and smells a she-fox in estrus. Motivated more by his bond with Jinn than natural urges, he hides and waits for further instructions.

Jinn tells everyone that they should take the other fork, ignoring this path at all costs, but relays what Fox experienced. The rest of the group are intrigued by the strange description and the Monk and Mage go check it out.

Cautiously approaching the statue, they fail 2 RR's each (they were cautious and slowly creeping along) and are Charmed by a crafty Succubus. The demon is able to convince the two that Jinn has always been greedy and out to get them from the moment they got together.
  "Remember that bear Jinn killed in the forest (4 levels ago)and didn't give you an equal share of the meat?" The Mystic was the only one low on food and sick of dried rations. I let them him know that too much dried food and little water can be uncomfortable without... salve.  Everyone else was good on water; Jinn, being a Mystic, used most of his for Waterbolts. "There's a creek around here somewhere and I'm not wasting PP to Condense Water."
  "Don't forget the time he didn't share his Potion of Cut Repair." The Monk was able to heal himself after a battle with sickle wielding Priests, but was low on PP. Jinn had a greater need for the potion, but still...

The great part was that the Monk remembered each event vividly and could see how he obviously misunderstood Jinn's motivations. (An awesome player.) He had already disrobed (very Charmed) but began to run the 140' back to attack Jinn. "I don't need clothes to fight!"
The Mage player asked every round if he could try to make another RR. This player is an good guy but has no patience for not being in total control. I let him know that he was Charmed for 150 minutes and each time he asked, the clock would reset. (No, he couldn't be subject to the same spell twice, but I wanted him to shut up; he finally got the message.The other guys at least, appreciated this lesson in roleplaying)
 The Succubus then asked him to use his Elementals and Servants to help protect this new found love. They all turned on Jinn.
  To his credit, Jinn was able get init and erect Ice Walls and Whirling Winds to slightly protect himself from the +30 Fireball of an exploding Servant, just as the Succubus' lover attacked from behind.

With a fantastic Combat Sense roll, he avoided the Vampire's (!) assault from behind and activated his Belt of Fly III. The Vampire chased him down the passage the PC's had traveled. Jinn was faster and getting ahead while able to fling a few spells at his pursuer, but just as movement eats up %Act, so did all of his actions while flying. Each spell was slowing him down. (Haste allowed him to maintain Whirling Winds move and fling a few instants... Oh forget RAW for a second; just go with the darn story.)

Eventually, he was crippled by a "00" Cold Aura of the Vampire. Now in a month long coma and losing his nose to frostbite the party thought all was lost.

In dire straights, the player asked if he could use Adrenal Stabilization to pass out, wake up later to perform "just a few actions" and then go into a month long coma. (Hey, maybe not possible in your games, but I let it slide as we were all excited to see what happened next!) Waking up sometime later, he found himself in the Demon's lair. He had been thrown into a corner, looted and thought dead. Even Vampires won't feed from a corpse.

With time ticking by, he found another victim of the Demon; a Healer. (This guy was new to the group after a brief hiatus from gaming and actually chose his profession before the game. He had been sitting there patiently for half the session until I could work him into the story.) Although he couldn't yet regrow a nose, he was able to get the Mystic on his feet and they snuck out. Just as the Monk and Mage are considering their new character options, Jinn was able to Jolt the Succubus (failed her RR miserably) and I ruled that this broke her charm, at least while she was stunned. (Again, maybe not your rules, but it was getting late and everyone was willing to play over. This group wouldn't meet again for a month and wanted to resolve this encounter... or TPK.)

They found the Mage, almost dead from blood loss and Con drain and was able to get him moving. The Monk awoke still naked, walking down a tunnel and wearing a rubied slave collar while pushing a wheel barrel full of mushrooms; the Demon had asked him to trade these in the Drow city. The collar would allow him passage into town.

The party regrouped and took out the Jolted Demoness. Thankfully, her Vampire lover was away on 'business'.

They now have a way into the Drow city.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: It's probably not a fox in heat.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »
I've always imagined your games to be more exciting, more strange and more fun than my own nitty gritty stories...

Turns out my gut feeling was right! Good story, good play by the players!

I might need to hear more about the next session  ;)
Game On!

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:12:31 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement!  :)
We do have fun.

Let it be known that the Monk performed all of his wardrobe changes on his on. I told him "you are very Charmed and that is a fine Pygmalion of a statue!"  He ran with it.

The Mage was able to laugh at himself, later.

It was hard to keep a straight face. After the game I jokingly reminded the players to "always split the party. Best thing you can do."  ::)

Also, IMHO the most challenging encounter the PC's ever face
is themselves.

The guy playing Jinn just kept repeating the title of this post.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:42:02 AM »
no comment

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 01:54:48 PM »
This kinda reminds me of the module that came after G123, or am I off base?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
No.  Its actually a wolf in heat.

:P  ;)

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 10:27:44 PM »

No, you are correct; Vault of the Drow. They tell me that it's nostalgic on one hand, yet totally different on the other.
One player (~30 yrs exp) claimed, "We're going through the series backwards?" :)

That's the thing: everyone has played these to death. But not in RM..

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 06:20:46 AM »

No, you are correct; Vault of the Drow. They tell me that it's nostalgic on one hand, yet totally different on the other.
One player (~30 yrs exp) claimed, "We're going through the series backwards?" :)

That's the thing: everyone has played these to death. But not in RM..

I've only ever completed the entire series (T1-4, A1-4, G1-3, D1-3, Q1) in RM (on the second try).  We came close in D&D once, made it as far as the D series.  In RM, it was truly epic.  Lolth dropped a Private World spell on the cleric making Lolth look like the cleric's god; thankfully the Monk was carrying a gimp mask and chains.