Author Topic: Evil campaign modules?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Evil campaign modules?
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:26:15 AM »
Are there any campaign modules for rolemaster / MERP that are designed for "evil" characters?

By evil I'm thinking somthing in the line of playing on the side of Mordor had it been Middle Earth, or for the Priest Arnak had it been SW.

Of course any module could be tweaked, but I wonder if theres a camapign where the evilness is default.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Evil campaign modules?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
I've been running a campaign for the last 20 or so months with evil characters. It's a lot harder to get a few things together, at least it was for me, but in the end I think I got the knack of it and the campaign feels darker with every session. There's a few themes you need to play with that are totally different from "normal" campaigns. Greed, revenge, and, mostly, how to make your PCs stick to a location (Why not run to another city when under some degree of pressure?).

Good luck with your campaign anyhow!

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
Given that ICE modules have tended much more to settings than to programmed "the players do this" structures, I'd say you can use most of them for any character types. I'd say there's more to do in Gorgoroth if you're allied with Sauron, or at least represented potential Sauronic allies, than as "good guys" who are very limited in what they can do unless they go undercover pretending to be "bad guys".

The difference will be in who your PCs ally with, fight, and steal from.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
When I ran a game with a dark ambiance, I gave the PCs roles and responsibilities in the country.  That kept them in town (or, in-country, as it were).

They started as agents of the Department of Internal Defense (before the formation of DHS, I'll have you know).  The more they embraced the necessary evil, the more powerful they became (one character even became a Countess), and the more opportunity they had to do good, but of course by then habits were entrenched and power needed to be retained, if for no other reason than to prevent someone even worse taking over.  (Holy run-on sentences, Batman!)

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 05:49:04 PM »
From the top of my head:

Angmar
Gorgoroth
Umbar
Dol Guldur
Shadow in the South
Nazgul's Citadel
Court of Ardor

These I looked up:

Southern Mirkwood
Gates of Mordor
Teeth of Mordor
Mount Gundabad
Greater Harad
Moria

These are mostly evil sites described with just one or two goody sites thrown in.
I've never bought any adventures since I make up my own stories and sites so I'm not familiar with their content and I'm using the modules as resources for other Ages.

I looked over the Shadow world books as well, but I'm not familiar with most of them, thus I couldn't point out the "evil" ones. Isn't there evil EVERYWHERE in Shadow world?

On the subject of playing Evil: I tried it a 2 times but in both cases it ended after 2-4 sessions with the players facing off their characters against each other...
Funny, but not fun.
Game On!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:00:51 PM »
 I think some of the old D&D modules and worlds would be great for evil PC's. Ravenloft is the main one that comes to mind but I also think there were a few for Forgotten Realms also.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:50:31 PM »
Thanks guys!

I made my follow up Q here: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=11440.new#new
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!