Author Topic: Resurrection: What are you Reading?  (Read 14772 times)

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Resurrection: What are you Reading?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2012, 05:19:01 PM »
Currently reading everything I can from Albert Jacquard. It’s like brain candy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Jacquard

I am far from done.

Last novel I read was actually The Witcher, a collection of short novels by Andrej Sapowski. Quite good.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2012, 08:26:41 PM »
I've just bought $220 worth of books, so I have a fair bit of reading ahead of me :)
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2012, 05:54:30 AM »
prepare for angst, and lots of sexual frustration. Good series, its just that those two things were kind of the defining trait for them :P
Now, I know what you are talking about when you say, "angst" but I cannot for the life of me, get where the "sexual frustration" comes from. The Wheel of Time is not erotic fiction. In fact, one can say (and I wouldn't disagree) that the romance of the series is fairly simple - even taking in the Rand situation.

Please avoid spoilers in the following discussion!!!  ;D
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline chippermonks

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »
prepare for angst, and lots of sexual frustration. Good series, its just that those two things were kind of the defining trait for them :P
Now, I know what you are talking about when you say, "angst" but I cannot for the life of me, get where the "sexual frustration" comes from. The Wheel of Time is not erotic fiction. In fact, one can say (and I wouldn't disagree) that the romance of the series is fairly simple - even taking in the Rand situation.

Please avoid spoilers in the following discussion!!!  ;D

Don't worry no spoilers :P

The frustration I mention is more of a awkwardness between two characters, which is only present due to the sheer fact that they are opposite genders. It is of course nothing erotic, it just seems at times to be a little superfluous :P

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »
Went and bought the whole "Thomas Covenant" series and started re-reading from the beginning which I have not read since the books were first published.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »
A third of the way through  Lev Grossman's 2nd Magician book,
"The Magician King".
Nice look at a magic college (not like Hogwarts) and what happens to Hedge Wizards who couldn't pass the entrance exam.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »
Lately I've been reading Cherie Priest.  Decent stuff.  Not the usual Fantasy or odd Sci-Fi that I normally read (it's Steampunk, so kinda between the two in some ways).

I've read Boneshaker and Dreadnought, working on Ganymede.  I just got a copy of Clementine (was somewhat hard to get my hands on quite a while) so I have not read it and I still need to pick up The Inexplicables.

Boneshaker, October 2009, Tor Books. ISBN 978-0-7653-1841-1.
Clementine, July 2010, Subterranean Press. ISBN 978-1-59606-308-2.
Dreadnought, September 2010, Tor Books. ISBN 978-0-7653-2578-5.
Ganymede, September 2011, Tor Books. ISBN 978-0-7653-2946-2.
The Inexplicables, November 2012, Tor Books. ISBN 9780765329479.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »

Just finished Glen Cook's last book in the Dread Empire series - A Path to Coldness of Heart
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 06:57:35 PM »
Finished up the second Intrumentalities book recently - getting interesting now but not as good as the first. 

Trying to pick up the Dread Empire books but getting them in order is a bit problematic.  Nook for XMas so that might make things easier.

Going through Erikson's Chained God - interesting but very confusing with the 20 different story lines going on - but the world setting is just cool.

For non-fiction on last of the Shelby Foote Civil War books - Sherman just made it to Savannah on his March to the Sea.  For huge historical books they are actually easy reads - they just need more maps.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »
Just finished Glen Cook's last book in the Dread Empire series - A Path to Coldness of Heart

Read the last Jordan book and found that pretty good. Tried the 2nd Turtledove Supervolcano book and punted it. Now trying the Quantum Thief (haven't read any Hard SF in a while) and its interesting stuff.

But best of all (and worst of all) the last Feist Magician book comes out in May or so.... (on the up side, Brust is writing a new Jhereg book ... and supposedly Cook has a new Black Company series in the works)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2013, 12:38:16 AM »
I love some of Brust's stuff.  If you have not, you should read the Phoenix Guards.  The books that follow it are good too, but it's probably my favorite before all the Vlad books.  Went out of my way to find a 1st Ed Hardback of it and then go get it sighed by him.  To Reign in Hell wasn't bad either.  Interesting twist on the war in heaven.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »
 I just finished Rowena Cory Daniells Outcast Chronicles (OC) and I am going back and reading her first work the Chronicles of King Rolens Kin. The OC are very interesting and have some good stuff in them but there are parts that some might not like. But all in all I think they are a good work (maybe great) of fantasy.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »
I love some of Brust's stuff.  If you have not, you should read the Phoenix Guards.  The books that follow it are good too, but it's probably my favorite before all the Vlad books.  Went out of my way to find a 1st Ed Hardback of it and then go get it sighed by him.  To Reign in Hell wasn't bad either.  Interesting twist on the war in heaven.

I second the recommendation of the Khaavren books. Lots of fun stuff therein.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2013, 08:45:22 PM »
I also loved the Phoenix Guards and related books. Brust has a great ability to write with different voices. I would also recommend his other books like Brokedown Palace or Agyar, which are very different but still great. Brokedown Palace reads more like a fairy tale; Agyar is in a modern setting and the less said about the details the better (just read it).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2013, 12:40:04 AM »
MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN.

find it.
read it.

Then you Win!
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
Finished Chained God - not sure if I liked the ending but I really couldn't come up with a better one I suppose.

Reading Ready Player One - should be required by anyone who remembers the 80's and actually enjoyed some of it.  Imagine if John Hughes wrote The Matrix.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2013, 12:55:41 AM »
Just finished The Human Division by John Scalzi. Set in the Old Man's War universe (and if you have not read that book, or the trilogy it starts, you are really missing out: super fun, with some really great ideas), it is a series of short stories that sort of combine to tell a "big" story, though without a true finish, so I am hoping this means that we can expect more to come.

I want to run a game set in that universe, just not sure what I would use, probably HARP Scifi...
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2013, 06:36:13 AM »
Right now, I am reading Homo Ludens and Les jeux et les hommes – le masque et le vertige, both major works about games, play and their definition, interaction with culture and their various types.

Definitely worth reading, even if you are not involved in the study of these fields.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2013, 07:08:10 AM »
The French title has been translated in English : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man,_Play_and_Games

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »
Went through Hugh Howey's Wool series very quickly.  Hard to put down.
If you have a chance and want to think a bit pick up Grant Morrison's Invisibles series.  The graphic novels are really good.
Picked up Rant and Damned by Chuck Palahniuk.  His books are usually dark but thought provoking.  Also got James Dickey's book Deliverance (yes there is a book).
Charles
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris