Author Topic: Request: Spell Aspects listed under each spell  (Read 877 times)

Offline tommysl

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Request: Spell Aspects listed under each spell
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:38:28 AM »
Reading the release notes on the revised HARP pdf, it was noted that the spells had their PP cost rebalanced in order to be consistent with the CoM spell creation rules. I guess it means that all existing spells was mapped into the schematic listed in CoM. It would be very helpful I think if these spell creation notes was somehow listed under each spell, or at least just the aspects that the spell belonged to.

I'm currently toying with the idea of learning spells in HARP very different. The basic idea would be that spell casters would learn ranks in aspects instead of spells (and spheres are mapped to aspects as well), and then would be able to cast spells based on these aspects. That would enable spell casters to make many interesting spell effects on the fly, i.e. not having the issue that a mighty wizard can cast massive fire balls, but is not able to ignite a candle.
Having aspects listed on all spells would not only make this shift a lot easier, but it would also make it easier to understand the hole system if you can see how it has been applied in HARP.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Request: Spell Aspects listed under each spell
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:29:52 AM »
This sounds quite interesting. I'd be eager to see the first results of such a system.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Request: Spell Aspects listed under each spell
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »
Note that there are more Aspects in the enhanced College of Magics sourcebook. We will probably write up the mappings to spells at a future point, probably for a vault or TGC article, but not until CoM is out.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme