Author Topic: Do I wait for RMU or should I go RMC?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline The8thDwarf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Do I wait for RMU or should I go RMC?
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:22:56 AM »
After having fun with a RMU playtest - I have been thinking about getting back into RM. Should I wait for RMU or go with RMC?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Do I wait for RMU or should I go RMC?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »
After having fun with a RMU playtest - I have been thinking about getting back into RM. Should I wait for RMU or go with RMC?

I'm firmly rooted in RM2   ;D

But I have been trying to wrap my brain around RMU with the Playtesting and new rules.  I'm not yet comfortable enough to run a session with my players yet as there are still some PC generation questions I can't iron out.  Reading through the errata posts is time consuming, but I'm mucking through it.

I have only worked with RMC on a couple of occasions and it is close to RM2, but not quite the same.  I know I am biased when I say stick with RMC only because it is so close to RM2, but I didn't really like RMSS at all.  I tried.  I really tried.

It seems you may have inadvertently answered your own question: "After having fun with a RMU playtest..."

If you had fun with it and really liked it, run with it.  That's the whole point of FRP... have fun.

The only other question I would ask: Do you have a lot of money already invested in RMC?  For me, I have so much money invested into RM2, with RMC being so close to RM2, there's no point in me investing in a "similar" system.  I would have invested in RMSS, but I didn't like it.  RMFRP was similar to RMSS, so again, no go.  I am reading through RMU now and really trying to keep an open mind.  I just need more time to digest it. 
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:11:09 AM »
RMU will be more work. There will be things you need to tweak, and because it doesn't have all the supporting books yet, things you'll need to adapt. This should be less true once the next drafts are released, but probably will still be true to an extent. Personally, I generally like where it's going, but I did have to write up a rules document for the players stating how I was handling X, Y, and Z.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline The8thDwarf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 01:37:06 AM »
I haven't played RM for over 20 years and all my old books have disappeared. So it will be a new investment for me.
I will probably only buy the PDFs as I don't like lumping books around.
The new software is a step in the right direction my players like fast battles and more roleplaying.
My main worry is the pace of the playtest.... I have a tendency to be distracted by the new shiny. I am guessing that we have another year or so before the finished product is released.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 07:09:43 AM »
I haven't played RM for over 20 years and all my old books have disappeared. So it will be a new investment for me.
I will probably only buy the PDFs as I don't like lumping books around.
The new software is a step in the right direction my players like fast battles and more roleplaying.
My main worry is the pace of the playtest.... I have a tendency to be distracted by the new shiny. I am guessing that we have another year or so before the finished product is released.

If you no longer have the physical books from your investment, then you're starting out on a level playing field.  I'm sorry for your loss.  I would be crushed if I lost my RM2 collection.

You may not be far off in your estimate for the RMU release.  We play tested D&D Next for a full year and the books were just released recently.  I'm still diving into the PDFs for RMU and my migraines aren't getting any better.   :'(

Offline Dark Mullisha

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
I like you 8thDwarf are an old player from RM2 and wonder which one to play, I played RMU and found the combat sequence with 3 phase blah! no like. So I went back to RMC and expanded it with RM2 stuff e.g. extra classes (I run about 60 classes) and the RM2 extra skills (total skills is about 250) from companion 2. We also added combat styles from the new companion book as well.
I am trying FRP as a player this has some good ideas but again over complicates a simple system, but don't dismiss it until you have read the rules and designed a few characters. I like the spell learning system, thinking of employing this in my game.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 04:49:51 AM »
I played RMSS in the beginning and now I'm GMing RMC. I have looked at RMU but since the rules aren't concrete and may not be released in a couple of years, I'll keep to the books I have.

I guess it's how long you are prepared to wait for the new version or your budget. I would suggest RMC if you want to play now. I like both RMC and RMSS/FRP versions but until RMU is published I would direct people to RMC. Of course there is always the support material factor. Not sure what's installed for RMU support...?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »
Well, my first answer would be: No. :) (I play RMSS).

However, between the two you list I'd start with the existing, published, version first even if I planned on using RMU simply because it will be quite a long time before RMU has anything approaching the volume of materials available for previous editions.  Then once RMU starts to get more books out look at switching over to it if you like it better.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 01:27:13 AM »
After reading RMU rules and been playing RMSS a few times... RM2 still the best in my opinion.
In my world RM2 is like WIN XP something good that works. I would love for RM2 to still be "updated" instead of reinventing the wheel all over again!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 03:22:55 AM »
The whole issue of "which version is best and works for me" tends to detract from my love of rolemaster as a whole.

I'd really LOVE to see this get off the ground... and work for everybody.

When RMU is complete ... whenever that will be (not wanting to rush things, I'd rather it be functional and liked by as many play-testers as possible) I will no doubt buy into it... as I have with virtually every other related product. Truth is, like some of the other here, I've dedicated a great deal of time, effort and money evolving what I already love to suit me. I can't therefore personally seeing me binning that to try the "next best thing".

However, to me, RM has always been mutable. I'll buy it, nick the best bits... and carry on, more or less, as before.

Hopefully though it will be a commercial success and attract some *new* blood...rather than just crusty curmudgeons like me. ;)

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 07:40:14 AM »
After reading RMU rules and been playing RMSS a few times... RM2 still the best in my opinion.
In my world RM2 is like WIN XP something good that works. I would love for RM2 to still be "updated" instead of reinventing the wheel all over again!

Amen.  For me... RM2 is still the best. 

For me.  i.e.: just my opinion, preference, love of the system. 

I didn't like RMSS at all and my group bought a good number of books ready to jump into it to give it a go and none of us liked it.  We tried for a good number of months trying to make it "work" for us.  I am going to hold off on any "judgments" of RMU until the finished product is out.  It's like condemning a new product that is still in the Beta and hasn't been fully refined yet.  Oh, wait a minute... errr.... LOL.

So far I am seeing some really cool things in RMU, but there is also this "feel" I am getting that it is trying to mirror another d20 game system that I really don't like.

I would have loved to have seen RM2 updated as well.  With RMU, we are in the 3rd iteration of the RM game system?   Even now, today, I would welcome an update or another Companion to RM2 and I would readily buy it.  RM2 3rd ed.?  YES please!

PS: My primary gaming computer is still Win-XP :)  I have another machine with Win 7 that I have to use throughout the day.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 07:46:47 AM »
I think RMC is RM2 #3 or RM1 #3 so to speak.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 08:03:18 AM »
I think RMC is RM2 #3 or RM1 #3 so to speak.
MDC

D'oh!  Completely forgot about RMC.

RM2 4th ed. anyone? LOL

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 11:41:29 AM »

Amen.  For me... RM2 is still the best. 

For me.  i.e.: just my opinion, preference, love of the system. 

I didn't like RMSS at all and my group bought a good number of books ready to jump into it to give it a go and none of us liked it.  We tried for a good number of months trying to make it "work" for us.  I am going to hold off on any "judgments" of RMU until the finished product is out.  It's like condemning a new product that is still in the Beta and hasn't been fully refined yet.  Oh, wait a minute... errr.... LOL.

So far I am seeing some really cool things in RMU, but there is also this "feel" I am getting that it is trying to mirror another d20 game system that I really don't like.

I would have loved to have seen RM2 updated as well.  With RMU, we are in the 3rd iteration of the RM game system?   Even now, today, I would welcome an update or another Companion to RM2 and I would readily buy it.  RM2 3rd ed.?  YES please!

PS: My primary gaming computer is still Win-XP :)  I have another machine with Win 7 that I have to use throughout the day.

I feel pretty much the same about RM2, RMSS, and RMU. One of the biggest sticking points in RMU for me is the % action system, and there is a feel to it that I'm having to adjust to.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »
Our group has chosen to play RMU with RMSS Combat Tables and the old AT20 system. This allows the GM (me) to use the Combat Minion software and use my old creatures manuals. I know my method is keeping about 1/2 of RMSS but it works well and we have added a few house rules.

When the final version is published and Combat Minion is available in RMU then we will make a full conversion.